Computer Slowing Down.

My computer is slowing down...... meaning it take awhile to access My Computer, I have a new PSU ( Enermax EG565P-VE ) coming tomorrow. Could it be the PSU, I have virus, firewall up to date. My spec's are below.

Could be Adaware/Spyware on your computer. Download Ad-Aware SE @ download.com

This will remove all the pop ups and crap that slows down your computer while surfing the internet.

After you d/l it, run a full system scan and it will scan every file in your computer. After that, you will only need to do a smart scan which is quicker and only scans files it thinks has adaware in it (i.e. temp internet files).

is it slow everytime you access my computer or only when you haven't been in it in a while? If it only happens occasionally it may be worth going to start/settings/power options and disabling your computers ability to turn drives off after a specified time.

You may even want to go into your bios and disable ACPI (sorry can't recall - i think that's right) which will turn off all sleep states and low power modes. I also recommend turning off AMD cool and quiet and cpu thermal throttle if they're enabled and see if that helps.

If this is a new issue - have you recently installed new software or hardware? Even if you've just moved something from one slot to another it may be worth telling your bios to re assign system resources. Should be called Force ECSD update or something like that - got a bit of a hangover so my brains still a bit fuzzy... nothing like getting your car broken into to start off a good drinking habit.

Ok I had something like that happen to me today as well and I narrowed down the problem. Might sound silly to you but are you by any chance using Firefox as a browsr with a few integrated extensions???

In my case I think it was AOL....... cause once I unintalled it, everything speed up again.

Also - there are instances of the nvidia firewall slowing down after a couple hours of usage with P2P software (bittorent,kaza etc). It does not appear to handle the number of connections such software generates very well. If it slows down again try using the windows firewall and disable nvidia's if you're using it.

AOL is a damn virus. I have had nothing but problems w/ that software. It slowly sucks the life out of your computer and then when you try and delete it, you find it has spidered files throughout your hard drive. It was a nightmare.