S&M stress testing...

Don't know about you Neo but with me if my memory is unstable quite often it will BSOD when running the tests so i don't think it would be that great for burnin even if you could loop the tests. BUT, if you could get it running in DOS it would be great!

I doubt that TCC5 will benefit from anything other 2.9v, and i've never seen any burn in thats proved to be ineffective on TCCD/TCC5. The only ram that appears benefits from it are modules that like high voltage such as Winbond.

My PSU has 37amp total on the +12v's, 20amp on one and 17amp on the other. Its been an excellent PSU and rock solid on all rails.

I'd definitely buy another Hiper. They've worked in partnership with AMD for awhile and i even read they were the first brand to be fully recommended by AMD for use with the A64, and it says it on the box...

Looking on their site it shows that they've now entered into a strategic partnership with Nvidia too...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said though, I'm not bsod'ing in a build of windows that has allmost nothing in it except for say taskmgr and the cmd prompt for the most part.

I was able to set the test on long and let it run an hour on the fpu test, now no errors at that voltage when I do the quick ver of the tests ^^, that was a single pass.

I don't think it'll loop either, but it is much faster then prime I think at burning in the cpu at a min.

Also experimented with the nb voltage before hand in windows, my windows.

That got me the initial no erorrs at that vcore in the memory test, quick ver.

I have'nt tried any of the long ver's of the memory test, not for the full run, I only played with it slightly at that time when I used a low nb voltage.

From those results and the results I got from putting the nb voltage back up to 1.9v and the vcore down to 1.725v, I think it's much faster then prime for those reasons.

It took me days to get the vcore where it was before I used program.

I was using prime, and it sucked when you had to constantly restart prime from to low of vcore.

This thing will run the entier pass without stopping if you tell it to, also since it finds errors much faster then prime, for both mem and cpu and nb, I think it's gonan be better.

I thaught prime was better then memtest, because burnin results were faster in prime for me man.

I've had memory timings change from burnin, with the 2 sticks I use now, in my sig(even though slightly out of date, same stuff).

It should work on all memory.

I don't mean by pumping 3.8v into your mem either, I dn think that's break in, I think that's break it.

That makes parts slower btw ;), at least cpu it does apperently if you over doit like that trying to stress it for no reason at all at a extreme voltage and heat.

You can actually supposedly reverse the process of breakin that way, by pumping more voltage into something then it needs.

:)

Edit:

As for power supplies, if I end up needing one sooner or later, I'll go for a 2.0 atx one, for liek $50 or something, one that would be allright for the nf4 boards you know, something that would do great on this board :).

NEOAethyr,

Unsure how you've managed to run your rig with that Enermax PSU. I have the exact same one sitting around here somewhere. It couldn't hang. Although you've modded yours, so maybe that's made a difference. I've also used an Allied 450w PSU for awhile, it was a bit better than the EG365P-VE was for me. There have been a few other PSUs I've tried in this rig, but the one I have now has given the best stability and maintaining decent voltages, without spending more on one than I have.

Amperage is hardly going to be the only consideration when it comes to power for one's system. Yeah, which is why I said, "...a PSU could be found to be insufficient, depending on the PSU and it's overall stability on the various rails and concerning potential output fluctuations." Also, I'm hardly attempting to be heady about that, just mentioning what you might have missed in my post.

Using S&M as a burn-in tool, eh. I've also found that I needed to bump up the chipset voltage, in order to run settings I was before and to get error free with S&M. At some of the lesser speeds, voltage was able to remain the same.

What VC do you have? Are you really running AGP - 100MHz and PCI - 50MHz? Interesting set of Alpha settings there too. Hmmm, NEO's custom BIOS... Hands up! Hand it over! :shake:

The one I just released a whiel back, bios wise, is pbetter then the one in the sig ;).

I think I'll release another tonight, plus I may of found out sometihng about cpc, hopefully no one has tried my bios and tried using cpc at the same time, I dn think it would work(not the standered bpl, I believe dfi may of modified the 319 so it could change from a value stored in cmos or something, not just default 2t).

Actually this power supply has been doing it's job, without mods most of the time.

No 266 that's for sure without the mods, but 250, yes 250 defently works :), at 2500mhz cpu as well.

After modding I got from 258 max fsb stable from that time to 266 stable in a few short days worth of testing, took me a day, maybe a day and a half to get the 1st 266 stable, 266x8.

I've taken the power supply apart a few times though and cleaned it out, the only mods are a few iron bars.

I added 2 or 3 of them, to filter the power some more.

Allmost every cable coming from the power supply is filtered now.

I do have a fealling it is'nt gonna last me once I get a geforce 6...

Time will tell.

The alpha timings, 0-0-2-2-0-6-3 I believe, that's about as low as I can get, and have found.

The 6 I can go lower on, but it messes up my video card.

It actually passes s&m and memtest at 5, but windows will freak on it, for example I tried commanche4 bench yesterday to see if it would run for a sec on that setting and it hardlocked windows, no bsod, just locked.

At a value of 3, windows won't boot, I dn think 4 boots either, both are memtest stable anyways.

I really think it's something to do with my video card somehow.

The others, the 2nd 2, I can go down to 1 on it but it won't boot any device, it locks before the check for cdrom, boots up the bios and such just fine though.

Yep, agp 100mhz, and it seems that pci is 1/2 of that.

Works out great so far, my video card was a gf4 ti4600, which I modified quite a bit in it's time, then crushed a few smd caps and now it's running 100mhz memory :.

I allready gave out $178 to a cousin of mine to put in his account, so on either friday or saturday I'm ordering a 6600gt from newegg, depending if he's working on friday or not.

Gonna buy one of the msi 6600gt's :).

Think of the one with component out, for the heck of it, it's more expensive but why not, also thinking of retail, to baby myself.

The last card I buaght from them was refirbed, but it came with everything, I'd rahter not take the chance on the next one because I want those cables for capturing.

Like I said, I want to baby myself with a $200 card instead of 130-140$.

Anyways I'm able to boot into pe windows and run at 263x9.5 at 1.65v vcore and hammer it for a while before it bsod's lol, at least it does'nt damage anythign eh? :)

I will keep on that one for sure once in a while.

I think the main diffrence between the god steppings and the others are the quality of the fpu unit, and perhaps apic you never know, everyone shuts that off anyways.

It seems to me that I go lower, to low for a vcore and yet the entier cpu has no issues about it except for the fpu, which freaks out about it.

Did you mod quite a bit in the latest BIOS you worked on, or was it just a couple of tweaks here and there? Curious if I'd be better off running one of your BIOSes, as well as what changes you've made to the ones you've tweaked. No 1T cmd-rate, eh? You notice much difference in performance at 2T, other than getting higher frequencies on your system? I've basically just run 1T from the start. Another thing, you are running 3 on the tRAS? Or did you just omit the tRAS setting in your sig? If not, how the heck are you running that? I find that I get corruption with too low of a tRAS setting. It also seems like I need to have a tRC near what my tRAS + tRP are equal to. Maybe you have some good info I don't have yet? :drool:

6600GT... :cool: I have heard many nice things about those cards. Wouldn't mind having one myself. I'll probably just wait to do the upgrade thing later, when X2s come down in price a bit.

I have some BH-5 sticks coming, hopefully I'll get them soon. I've wanted some of those to mess with for awhile. I got a fairly decent price on them. It'll be interesting to see what I come up with, with them in my rig. It'll be nice to have S&M to use on those sticks. :nod:

It looks like you messed with the floppy version a touch? I took a look at it before I began using the Win version. It looks like one might need to manually adjust the RAM type/config with it, in order to be able to use it as testing method from a floppy, CD or other? What's your take on it? Yeah, it was accessing the floppy continuously when I initially looked at it also.

Neo, this bios is testing out pretty good :D

Couple of bugs need working out and i really don't like some of your default settings, i have to spend ages going through the bios setting them all right, but thats easy sorted. Also some of those options you've re-enabled are best left disabled imo such as A20 Gate Option, theres not really any need for that option on this board and they'll just confuse ppl.

I don't like the Advanced Chipset Features layout either, i prefer it how it was. And wheres CPC? Couldn't find it.

Definitely set it back to how it was but leave the Thermal Throttling option under the PC Health menu.

My Infinity version of it works great too and the boot & epa logos i've added look great ;)

I've got a few other recommendations for you too if your interested in adding them.

EDIT: Just noticed benchmarks are down a bit though. Is it running 2T even though i've set it to 1T? Hmmm...

Wheres your latest release Neo? Looking forward to checking it out :)

This is the Boot Logo i made and added:

bootlogo2am.png

Still got some finishing touches to add to it though...

And added this EPA Logo:

nvidia1xm.png

I've made an Infinity EPA Logo but it don't look quite right yet, i still need to work on it.

i like S&M as well, its good at proving that my system hates my ram, even at under clocked settings it hard locks in short order. mabie future toaster requirements will include this program as it is very good at what it does. i also like the ability to monitor the voltages while you stress without running speedfan or mbm5.

Charlie22911 -

PC3200 KVR... What type of chips on those? Is that the newer KVR also?

The RAM I have has been a bit tricky with my rig. I've finally worked my way back up to 250MHz/500DDR, 1:1 and I am at 2.5GHz right now. It's taken some work to get back here, with better stability, and S&M has been exactly what the doctor ordered. :shake: We'll see how it goes from here on out... Excellent prog though. :nod:

Charlie22911 -

PC3200 KVR... What type of chips on those? Is that the newer KVR also?

The RAM I have has been a bit tricky with my rig. I've finally worked my way back up to 250MHz/500DDR, 1:1 and I am at 2.5GHz right now. It's taken some work to get back here, with better stability, and S&M has been exactly what the doctor ordered. :shake: We'll see how it goes from here on out... Excellent prog though. :nod:

im not sure what chips it uses, but all indicate mosel vitelic from all the googles i have done, i know its made in 2004 and spd at PC3200 is 3-3-3-8. my max on it im not sure, just now getting to it. :D

BTW shinobi how do you set Boot Logos??

You need to integrate them into the Bios, same with EPA Logos. I've modded the Boot Logo a bit more since.

bootlogo27bw.th.gif

Nearly finished my modded bios now so soon it'll be ready for release. It giving me better stability than TicTacs 3DFire R2 which i'm pretty pleased about.

So what Mosel does it use Charlie? The Vitelic 5ns? SAT5B?

Well i've been testing the bios thoroughly and it gives me an extra few mhz Windows Stability over TicTacs 3DFire R2 143.gif

It has all the mods from TicTacs 3DFire R2 because i started off using that as a base, plus a few of my own.

Don't know what it'll be like for anyone else but for my Winbond its superb.

If anyones interested i'll upload it after i've applied some finishing touches :)