trading up from twin 6800 SLI to a single 7800GTX

$60 dont mean nothing to me, you're right.

You should go ahead and get yourself a new CPU then...it is going to be a bit of a limiting factor compared to that video card. 4000 San Diego's a good choice, or if your filthy rich, you can get a new FX 57. With a 7800 and an FX 57 you'll be set for just about anything.

trading up from twin BFG 6800 SLI to a single 7800GTX

most of what i've read says the single 7800GTX will be faster. I'd get the BFG 7800GTX OC, cause i never ever had a problem with BFG cards.

I almost have my twin cards sold locally for $450. The new card will cost me $599 + tax. One reason is the heat, my twins run very hot, and ive had SLI freeze twice in game in last week.

good idea, bad idea?

What exactly do you mean by "faster"? Are you talking about frame rates in games? If so, then you won't see any difference. If your current setup can achieve say 50fps and the GTX say 60fps, that difference won't be noticeable because anything over 30fps is a smooth ride. It's a bit like skidding on a lump of ice if you like. If you take a run at it, you'll skid further, but the actual experience of skidding will be the same. ;)

Why on earth would you spend all this money? You can buy an eVGA 7800 GTX w/ Battlefield 2 included and a much better warranty than BFG's for $485 shipped and no tax from Monarch. I live in CA and shipping from them usually takes a whopping one or two days longer than Newegg.

Also, just OC your CPU and you'll be fine.

Edit: Monarch's site doesn't show it, but eVGA's warranty is now lifetime and allows you to overclock without voiding it.

Hmmm dual 6800u vs one 7800GTX:

I was thinking about making that jump as well but there is one thing that I think all users may want to consider, SLI. As far as I am educated on SLI and the current 16x splitting of the dual cards with the SLI-DR etc. the PCI-E channel is broken down into 2 8x channels. I know that the 6800 cards are 8x native so running these PCIE cards at 8x is not a constraint. I am of the impression that a 7800GTX would run at 16x PCIE, natively.

So I think as far as an SLI system goes I think 6800U would work possibly better using the current NF4 SLI chipset than placing an 8x constraint on a 7800GTX running in SLI

Maybe my logic is bad on this but it seems that dual 7800GTX cards on a SLI-DR "current" chipset would be a bad idea and a slight waste of money.

Please correct me if I am out o' my league

-Magik

Dude, I couldnt get $300 each for these cards.. Newegg sells them for $260 each brand new.

newegg has the card i want for $525, but local its $599. And with newegg shipping, it comes to about $540 anyway. I pay tax either way, im in CA.

Oops, I read Ultra for some reason.

There are other places to shop at you know. MonarchPC wont charge you tax to CA I dont think. They are based just outside of Atlanta, GA. Usually as cheap, or even cheaper than newegg.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...uct_Code=190490

$100 difference. I would order online to save $100 any day. Or I have a friend who is selling the BFG version for $459. $150 difference. Dont be afraid to shop around, or buy from forums.

BFG tells you not to return to the store anyways. It has a big warning, in bold red letters, to send it to them for RMA.

But if you want to spend $100+ extra.. more power to you. :) There is a very short return policy for most stores.