Problems installing Windows XP

I just started following the forum as a result of building my own computer. The tip on connecting all four power supplies helped me get passed not being able to see any video. THANKS.

I also followed the link on Angry's website to install my RAID 0 successfully, however, I am running a problem installing Windows. After I install the NVIDIA RAID drivers and set the partition on the hard-drive, I choose NTFS and Windows starts to install. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten past 0% on the progress bar.

I thought it might have been the version of the BIOS so I flashed it to the 6-23-05 version. I also downloaded the lasted NVIDIA RAID drivers off the website and still have no luck.

Have anyone ever seen this before or have any clue what I need to do to resolve it? Whatever help would be appreciated! :confused:

I just started following the forum as a result of building my own computer. The tip on connecting all four power supplies helped me get passed not being able to see any video. THANKS.

I also followed the link on Angry's website to install my RAID 0 successfully, however, I am running a problem installing Windows. After I install the NVIDIA RAID drivers and set the partition on the hard-drive, I choose NTFS and Windows starts to install. Unfortunately, it hasn't gotten past 0% on the progress bar.

I thought it might have been the version of the BIOS so I flashed it to the 6-23-05 version. I also downloaded the lasted NVIDIA RAID drivers off the website and still have no luck.

Have anyone ever seen this before or have any clue what I need to do to resolve it? Whatever help would be appreciated! :confused:

Hey ho chief,

I had the same problem. I hasd to find a WinXp+Sp1 cd before I got going. :rolleyes:

Well, I had no probs w/ winxp pro w/ sp2 on my raid 0 install.

After I install the NVIDIA RAID drivers and set the partition on the hard-drive, I choose NTFS and Windows starts to install.

when you say windows starts to install, did you mean windows starts to format? Did you format the drive or is that where it is stuck when you go to format?

Well, I had no probs w/ winxp pro w/ sp2 on my raid 0 install.

It's a long story. I tried to ibnstall WinXp+Sp2 onto a Raid0 on two SATA2 HDD's connected through the two SATA2 ports on the mobo. No go. Swapped to a WinXp+Sp1 cd, installed no problem. SATA1 drives are no problem, SATA1 ports are no problem, SATA2 drives on SATA1 ports are no problem. But SATA2 drives on SATA2 ports in Raid0 with WinXp+Sp2 was a no no. Hence the Sp1 version of WinXp, then an update to Sp2. :shake:

I can get to the point where I load the two NVIDIA RAID drivers and create the partition and specify either FAT or NTFS. Once the screen changes and Windows starts to load, it doesn't go any further. It stays at 0%. Thanks for the input!

Have you Tried hooking up the HDs to the Silicon Image controler and install those drivers?

Are there any reasons not to use the Silicon Image controller versues the NVIDIA one?

There have been issues with the Nvidia IDE and RAID drivers. Mostly with software corruption and random BSODs. Also using the SI controller would put less stress to the chipset and could drop your temps.

The nVidia SATA ports are on the PCIe bus while the SIL controller is on the PCI bus. With a pair of Raptors in RIAD-0 I would use the nVidia controller over the SIL every day.

In Off Topic there's a huge hard drive benchmark thread. The SIL controller loses every time.

Are there any reasons not to use the Silicon Image controller versues the NVIDIA one?

Still no luck, I even tried to install XP with SP1. I didn't have much luck with the Silicon controllor (I wasn't really sure how to) but I've determined that if I try to install to one of the two HDD, that Windows starts to install. Therefore, I am assuming the problem lies with the RAID 0. I'm not sure why I having this problem. I'm following Angry's guide to the T. Am I missing something?

I'm tired and will try again tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!