NF4 Ultra-D> Installing an XP-90

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "motherboard header" is the fan connector on the mobo for the CPU fan. If the power for the fan is connected to the 4pin molex you will need to connect the speed sensor(yellow lead) to the fan header on the motherboard so the BIOS will detect a fan operating.

wont that give the fan too much power?

its getting power then from the 4 pin and the board.

what im doing is using the 3 pin connector and hooking that up to my vantec high cfm fan controller.. i am not using the 4 pin power connector.

is there any place on newegg, and only newegg that sells those so i can hook them up to my fan controller, control them, and monitor speeds?

i am getting the: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813999504

does that come with one of what im going to need? i dont think so?

help me out please :)

Tom

The adapter should feed power from the 4pin molex to the fan. The yellow lead is the speed sensor line and it only sends the data to the fan header on the mobo

You are in now way combining the two inputs.

wont that give the fan too much power?

its getting power then from the 4 pin and the board.

what im doing is using the 3 pin connector and hooking that up to my vantec high cfm fan controller.. i am not using the 4 pin power connector.

is there any place on newegg, and only newegg that sells those so i can hook them up to my fan controller, control them, and monitor speeds?

i am getting the: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813999504

does that come with one of what im going to need? i dont think so?

help me out please :)

Tom

It's called current draw. If you create a dead short across the header you will certainly blow the header.

If you plug a high current draw fan into the header you can blow the header.

Been there done that.

It's not the volts, it's the current expressed in amps or miliamps.

I don't understand how a fan can "blow the motherboard header"???? At the max it could only supply 12V. to the fan..It not going to magically throw 15volts into the fan and blow something.

hymn, i beleive the nxp 205 will do and not do what you need. you will be able to control your fan with it, but in order to be able to get a wire over to the mobo too, youll need to strip the yellow wire (rpm tach sensor), add another wire that you can buy, or cut an extra from an old 3 pin fan, attatch it to the wire you stripped and then attatch the wire you just added on to another pin to go over the mobo's. then youd be good to go, i have the nxp 305 in black, running 5 fans on it.

however, is it truly needed to have the mobo detect a fan? people who dont use fans, or use wc, or have silent computers with an xp90 passive(example, wouldnt have that fan to plug it in...? so, will the mobo post/complete post without finding it?

Regards, WoL-Shiver

i dont THINK its needed to detect speed, so why would i need to go through all that work?

i didnt really care about monitoring speeds, i do thouh have fans to tear apart so it wont make a deal if i do mod that. =]

ehh, hopefully i dont blow a switch or what so ever, lol.

Tom

May I suggest you first get your system up and running before you make any mods? Why don't you make sure your rig is functional first as shipped.

As far as how a mobo can be affected by a fan well I suppose it is possible. We are talking about the load or amps vice voltage possibly being the issue.

lol, my computer already works. ^_^

Ok Toolman

May I suggest you first get your system up and running before you make any mods? Why don't you make sure your rig is functional first as shipped.

As far as how a mobo can be affected by a fan well I suppose it is possible. We are talking about the load or amps vice voltage possibly being the issue.

however, is it truly needed to have the mobo detect a fan? people who dont use fans, or use wc, or have silent computers with an xp90 passive(example, wouldnt have that fan to plug it in...? so, will the mobo post/complete post without finding it?

any techies know? dont have my computer till the psu returns, or id test it myself

• 2 weeks later...