Prime 95 as a stability test.

prodigy_

Something is definitely wrong if you are crashing in Prime. I don't see what PSU you are using but if you have floating voltages, Prime will definitely crash.

I've found that as a rule of thumb, 8 hours of Prime is a very good indicator that your system is stable. If I pass that, my system does NOT crash unless the ambiet air temp rises a good 10 degrees F. If that happens, then I have to back the FSB down to 240 from 250.

As for those who say you can't test all your mem with 1 instance of Prime. Smoke another :D There is a setting in Prime where you can specify, to the MB, how much system memory to use during the stress test.

The actual app doesn't crash and close, but it just says that it has an error in the log and cannot continue the torture test. The other test will run just fine. For the powersupply, I am using an Antec NeoPower. I need to update my sig to reflect that, forgot the damn PSU :P

I know for a fact that I need to connect the extra power connectors on the board and will get around to that Monday evening on my day off and go from there. Perhaps I don't have enough juice going to the board, and I was under the assumption that I didn't need to connect the extra power connectors like on my Intel 915PBL board if my PSU is ATX 2.0 capable. I just recently read on the forums that the connections are required for best performance and I will get it taken care of shortly and report back my findings

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Large FFT is considered the best by many. Small FFT seems easier to pass. Blend causes much swap file usage, and thus can't really stress CPU.

I'd recommend Large FFT to test overall system stability and Blend to test RAM stability (while tweaking BIOS settings for example).

Select "long" test duration and you'll see some real heat after about half an hour. ;)

S&M has some error-checking but unfortunately it's not nearly as sensitive to errors as prime is. Certainly if your system is really unstable, it'll crash or give you a BSOD. But if you can't pass superPI 32M, you prob won't get errors in S&M too.

Thanks

How long has your Venice had 1.65v..is this win reported voltage or bios?

Figures I was using the large fft first time I ran prime95 on my venice..but decided small fft isolated cpu more(according to Prime95 desription)..so I figured it would be more likely to find a cpu issue :rolleyes:

As for S&M(gotta love the name)..I was running a quick test just to see what temps would do in like 10-15min

Damn prime95 just takes so long to run..my wife gets annoyed as our printer is on home network and she cant use it....

Thanks

Figures I was using the large fft first time I ran prime95 on my venice..but decided small fft isolated cpu more(according to Prime95 desription)..so I figured it would be more likely to find a cpu issue :rolleyes:

As for S&M(gotta love the name)..I was running a quick test just to see what temps would do in like 10-15min

Damn prime95 just takes so long to run..my wife gets annoyed as our printer is on home network and she cant use it....

Heh, you should check into a print server like an HP JetDirect or one of the DLink ones if you have multiple computers on the network. That will free up teh printer so she has full run of it when you are nerding it up like the rest of us here :D

Heh, you should check into a print server like an HP JetDirect or one of the DLink ones if you have multiple computers on the network. That will free up teh printer so she has full run of it when you are nerding it up like the rest of us here :D

good idea..are these very expensive..

she kinda getting fed up my with my testing..big waste of time in her eyes....

dont even try to try to overclocking and need for stability

good idea..are these very expensive..

she kinda getting fed up my with my testing..big waste of time in her eyes....

dont even try to try to overclocking and need for stability

Nah, they aren't too expensive. I believe they are around $75 max for a consumer level print server. It only gets expensive once you get into enterprise solutions. More info here:

For DLink: http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10

The HP ones are a tad spendy, after researching them. The only cheap one is the 170x which is for a parallel port printer only. No USB connectivity.

But what test do you use for Prime95..I have seen everything from you must use small fft for the cpu, large fft, to the blended test....

I have heard people say blend does not stress the cpu enough and you may go longer with this vs small/large fft

I just ran Small FFT Prime95 12hrs 38min 3200@2750 2750fsb/9/10 divider with ram at 250 3-3-3-7-1t..I stopped it(had to up vcore to 1.57v winxp,1.6v bios)

Memtest86 1.55 for 6hrs or 10+passess...I stopped it..I am pretty sure I am ok

I would think the Prime95 blended test(which I used for stability on my winny ran 15hr+) is better measure of overall system stability since it test ram and cpu....?????

I use the blend test that runs through all the different size FFT calculations. You can select exactly how much memory to use during that test. Just go to "Options" / "CPU" and you will see it there.

I know that when I set the priority to high in task manager, Prime95 completely pegs the CPU at 100% and the memory usage fluctuates a bit but remains pretty damn high. If you open task manager while running the toture test and click the performance tab, you'll see your system is getting hammered. The only thing this doesn't test that could affect faming performance is the video card. SO if you are crashing in games and you have your VC OC'd, I would be looking there to solve the problem.

Newest is v.24.13. Older versions are known to error out randomly if run on 90nm K8 cores (sometmes even at stock freqs).

So which one is the latest version ?

is it v.24.14?

coz i can download from > HERE

But in Prime official website still is v.24.13 > HERE

1.65V is actual. BIOS reports 1.62V. Software reports 1.6V.

It's been like this for about a week already and will stay for 24/7. Sooner or later I'll take IHS off and try 1.7V.

v.24.14

Hmm, interesting. A leaked beta maybe?