Sytem died last night at startup.

Well, my rig has been running fine for the past few months. Last night I went ahead and installed a 2nd BFG 6800 Ultra OC.

I first tested the 2nd card in the system alone. Got into XP just fine and seemed to be running great. I took it out, moved the SLi jumpers over, installed both cards, installed the SLi bridge, got back into XP, reinstalled the video drivers, rebooted and got back into XP, enabled SLi, rebooted and finally got back into XP.

So far, everything is running super!! Both cards are being recognized, and SLi is enabled. Time to bench this bad boy :D

I started up 3dmark05. It' into the first map and I notice FPS are as with 1 card :( Well 05 keeps going then suddenly.................the system shuts down!! Even my APC started beeping!! At first I thought I blew a circuit breaker, but they are fine. Then I noticed my APC is not even reading electricity from it's wall cable. Interesting to think that I may have blown up the APC. Ehh...it was years old anyways.

I plug the system into the wall and push the power button... :(

The case power light just blinks and blinks. The MB leds are all on except the CPU light. It keeps switching on and off, and then the system shuts down itself.

I figured the PSU died, so I tested with a generic 350w PSU...same symptons. I tested my OCZ on another 5+ year old system....it worked!! So now I start thinking my rig or part of it died.

When I turn it on, the case power light blinks and blinks. CPU Led turns on & off, and system finally shuts itself off. But here's the interesting thing....if I take out both video cards, then the LEDs go down to the video card and stay there. So then that made me think the PSU isn't pushing enough juice through the system....yet have enough juice to start up an old PIV 2.4ghz with 512mb ram. Is that even possible?

Things I've tried:

Cleared BIOS

Took out some RAM

disconecting all accessories

switched 6800s around

....still same thing

Same thing with 2, and with none, last paragraph above.

Update: Now the 4 LEDs stay on and nothing else happens. It doesn't even shut itself off.

I just noticed the circuit breaker on my APC was tripped!! Pushed it back in and the APC it works perfect :) So SOMETHING in the MB must have caused a short?

My FX-53 has been running at about 1.53v for as long as I can remember and I have never really let temps pass 55c. That voltage wasn't too high up from stock, but do you guys still think it would have killed that CPU? I have the system attached directly to the wall to rule out the possibility that there is a problem with a power strip or my APC, and now only the 4 LEDs constantly stay on.

Dang Flybye, I really feel for ya. I never saw this thread before. So many posts in the 64bit section the "real" problems just get bumped off the page. 3 year warranty I hope on the 53.

Well, just got off the phone with AMD. Got my RMA# and will be shipping it back to them soon.

My FX never really saw anything over 55c, but on occasion it would get up to 60c. Maybe I should stop folding :P I just find it weird this happened when I went SLi. Coincidence? I'm scared of getting the replacement FX, blowing that too, getting another RMA, and AMD telling me "Yeah Right."

Well, just got off the phone with AMD. Got my RMA# and will be shipping it back to them soon.

My FX never really saw anything over 55c, but on occasion it would get up to 60c. Maybe I should stop folding :P I just find it weird this happened when I went SLi. Coincidence? I'm scared of getting the replacement FX, blowing that too, getting another RMA, and AMD telling me "Yeah Right."

Great News Flybye! Do you have any idea what they will replace it with? Hale, anything is better than a dead chip. Sure it was just a fluke. You'll be fine dude.

Great News Flybye! Do you have any idea what they will replace it with? Hale, anything is better than a dead chip. Sure it was just a fluke. You'll be fine dude.

Yep Yep!!

I'm sure I'll get another FX-53. Honestly, I didn't ask..cuz...they are still in production, right? Yeah, it be nice if they have no stock on the 53s and I get a 55 or a 57 :D