0x9c due to rapid decrease of temps?

Brutality

About a week ago I opened the door to the outside in my room to bring some fresh air in... now it's pretty cold in Denmark this time, so the outside temp was like 5*C while my room temp is 20ish...

My PC is right at the door, so it gets all the cold air right in its face... and after 10 mins I got a 0x9c... at that time I didn't think it was due to the chill, but I thought my system had gone unstable (although it has been stable for some weeks (since last time I fiddled with overclocking), so I was a bit confused and a bit shocked (I hate BSODs =P). so I shut the system down and opened my laptop to research on 0x9C.. and after a while I booted the system up and upped the vCore.. took some stability tests (IBT for 20 passes and some prime95)... even took 7 passes of Memtest and a chkdsk with all options... nothing was wrong with my system at that point...

Now, a week later (30 mins ago actually), it was time to get some fresh air in again..and the same happened..

This is when I thought maybe it was due to the rapid cooling.. so I just shut down the system and waited a while after being done with the open door.. booted up again and no problem so far...

Can a 0x9c be caused by rapid cooling, or do I need to check my system?

If that's the case then I'll just use the windows to bring fresh air in... I just used the door to bring in more fresh air - not a problem if I can only do that in the summer times

Edited by Brutality

I'd say coincidence...you shouldn't have any problems with cooler air coming in (especially only a 15 C difference). You may want to run the system file checker (open up a command prompt, sfc.exe /scannow) to make sure you don't have any corrupt Windows system files.

Edited by Waco

I doubt it's the air cooling. what would the difference of a blast of cooling air, and lets say stopping a all core benchmark?

i have seen huge drops/gains in temps without that ever happening

stop errors suck, but do what waco said and if thats fine try re-creating your issue with CMOS defaults (unless the cpu needs to be manually adjusted to function properly) i think it might be a random OC instability

This has to be a coincidence. The only time I've ever heard of a rapid temperature drop negatively effect a computer is for CPUs with cold bugs being cooled below 0c.

However, this error is caused by a few things, one of which actually is:

" Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working."

This should just mean hot temperatures, but I guess go ahead and open your door one more time and see.

That being said, this is another and much more likely reason:

" You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds."

As Waco said you likely have an unstable overclock and should try to recreate the error at stock settings.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Meh, I'll try to open the door again tomorrow, and if the same happens I'll put the system to stock and try again...

It could also be my HDD (cool I won a SSD which I was planning to use once I finished overclocking (I heard the process of overclocking can corrupt hdd/system files, so wanna find my stable overclocks and then go to the SSD with that))

http://www.overclock.net/t/1111257/bsod-0x9c-whats-causing-it/10

Edited by Brutality

This has to be a coincidence. The only time I've ever heard of a rapid temperature drop negatively effect a computer is for CPUs with cold bugs being cooled below 0c.

However, this error is caused by a few things, one of which actually is:

" Extreme thermal conditions caused by the failure of cooling devices such as fans may damage your computer. Make sure that your cooling devices are all working."

This should just mean hot temperatures, but I guess go ahead and open your door one more time and see.

That being said, this is another and much more likely reason:

" You are running the processor or mainboard beyond its specifications. For example, you are overclocking the processor or bus. We recommend that you run your hardware at the manufacturer-rated speeds."

As Waco said you likely have an unstable overclock and should try to recreate the error at stock settings.

Unbelievably, there were Sandy Bridges that cold-bugged above 0c. I think it was only ES chips that did that, maybe very early retails too, I don't quite remember. So it is actually possible that this is a coldbug (although still unlikely).

To OP, next time you open your door, if the same thing happens, leave the door open. Try rebooting the system. If it is still unstable, it might be a cold bug.

Unbelievably, there were Sandy Bridges that cold-bugged above 0c. I think it was only ES chips that did that, maybe very early retails too, I don't quite remember. So it is actually possible that this is a coldbug (although still unlikely).

To OP, next time you open your door, if the same thing happens, leave the door open. Try rebooting the system. If it is still unstable, it might be a cold bug.

I think it's a cold bug then.. cuz I tried rebooting after it happened the first time and it froze again after 1 min...

The second time I waited for the system to "heat up" again and there were no issues then

Edited by Brutality

Hmm.., I knew that the sandybridge chips had a high cold bug, but I didn't know that it could be above 0c.

OP, when you try opening the door again, would you mind reporting temps. (In the unlikely event that it does happen again)

Actually wasn't a cold bug... it was because I had increased PCH voltage to 1.1V (I read somewhere, can't find the post now, grrrr.... but I read that a too high PCH can cause random BSODs.. so I decreased it back to 1.05 and now I can use my computer with the door open xD)