check my build

So, I've been out of the hardware world since the barton cores and agp slots were the norm, I'm building a new rig soon and just wanted to run my proposed build past someone to make sure everything is copacetic.

ASUS M4A88TD-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

- not thrilled with the idea that it's micro atx, but otherwise it seems to be packed with options for a good price and from a reputable manufacturer.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

how does everything look?

So, I've been out of the hardware world since the barton cores and agp slots were the norm, I'm building a new rig soon and just wanted to run my proposed build past someone to make sure everything is copacetic.

ASUS M4A88TD-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

- not thrilled with the idea that it's micro atx, but otherwise it seems to be packed with options for a good price and from a reputable manufacturer.

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

how does everything look?

If you're looking to build a new rig I'd suggest spending a little more money to get a better bang for your buck, you're basically building an old computer that'll be outdated within a couple years.

For instance:

- you can find a motherboard with USB 3.0 ports (10x faster than USB 2.0)

- you can find a motherboard with much better update ability like supporting 2 or 3 graphics cards at once

- you can find something not microATX

- i'd prefer the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO or ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO (only $20 more than the mobo you picked, and this one will last 10 years longer)

- i'd also go for G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB because you save $35, wont need to upgrade for 10 years, and even then you could just pop in 8 more GB if ever really needed

- you can get a much better processor also, its the main component! (why go really cheap and have to upgrade your computer again?)

- take a look at this http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html (compare the rankings vs the price on AMD and those surrounding that performance level)

- if you notice, the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is only $200 (i know its $100 more than you originally had in mind but its also like saving $100 just for the amount of performance and longevity)

- it has 6 cores instead of 2, making it 3x faster already, but if you dont want to spend 100$ at least spend $10 and get the 4 cores, doubling your CPU speed with a measly $10

- AMD Athlon II X4 640

So even by just throwing $30 more down you can get a MUCH better rig.

You can always look around more, but i've done the research recently and found this to be the most clever route.

Now I just wish I had the money to actually make a rig myself.. :\. Hope it helps!

Edited by TOMisCHEEZE

If you're looking to build a new rig I'd suggest spending a little more money to get a better bang for your buck, you're basically building an old computer that'll be outdated within a couple years.

For instance:

- you can find a motherboard with USB 3.0 ports (10x faster than USB 2.0)

- you can find a motherboard with much better update ability like supporting 2 or 3 graphics cards at once

- you can find something not microATX

- i'd prefer the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO or ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO (only $20 more than the mobo you picked, and this one will last 10 years longer)

- i'd also go for G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB because you save $35, wont need to upgrade for 10 years, and even then you could just pop in 8 more GB if ever really needed

- you can get a much better processor also, its the main component! (why go really cheap and have to upgrade your computer again?)

- take a look at this http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html (compare the rankings vs the price on AMD and those surrounding that performance level)

- if you notice, the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T is only $200 (i know its $100 more than you originally had in mind but its also like saving $100 just for the amount of performance and longevity)

- it has 6 cores instead of 2, making it 3x faster already, but if you dont want to spend 100$ at least spend $10 and get the 4 cores, doubling your CPU speed with a measly $10

- AMD Athlon II X4 640

So even by just throwing $30 more down you can get a MUCH better rig.

You can always look around more, but i've done the research recently and found this to be the most clever route.

Now I just wish I had the money to actually make a rig myself.. :\. Hope it helps!

I do have enough to go with the suggested ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO. I missed that when looking through newegg. That ASRock board is awesome and I know everyone is going to gringe when i say this but I'd really prefer to have onboard video as I don't want to spend the money on a video card right now as I don't game anymore. Unfortunately I'm trying to keep this build around $300, so as for the multiple cores the x6 is out due to budget constraints. Isn't that what the core unlocker feature is for? Won't that unlock the latent cores of the x2 and make it an x4? And last but not least, the ram issue. Again I'm not a gamer or an intense pc user anymore so I figure I'll upgrade ram when I need it.

Atleast try for the AMD Athlon II X4 640 if its only 10$ more, you cant go wrong!

the x2 gets a PC Mark around 2,200 (the higher the number the better the performance)

the x4 gets around 3,500

for $10 you cant beat that difference (even if you don't understand what it means)

the second chart down on this page: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+640

shows that its actually more of a deal than the x6!

definite best bang for the bargain

ALSO! dont forget you need a different type of ram now to meet your mobo's latency!

i'd go with the 1 stick of 4gb, its $10 cheaper than buying 2x2gb's, and the smartest route if ever want to upgrade/get the most out of your mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310

now you should be good to go.. hella decent build for only $250

Edited by TOMisCHEEZE

Atleast try for the AMD Athlon II X4 640 if its only 10$ more, you cant go wrong!

the x2 gets a PC Mark around 2,200 (the higher the number the better the performance)

the x4 gets around 3,500

for $10 you cant beat that difference (even if you don't understand what it means)

the second chart down on this page: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+X4+640

shows that its actually more of a deal than the x6!

definite best bang for the bargain

ALSO! dont forget you need a different type of ram now to meet your mobo's latency!

i'd go with the 1 stick of 4gb, its $10 cheaper than buying 2x2gb's, and the smartest route if ever want to upgrade/get the most out of your mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231310

now you should be good to go.. hella decent build for only $250

crap I already ordered the 2x2gb, will they not work at all?

Nope don't do that, running the ram in single channel will make it wayy slower. Your 2x2gb will work fine, and you can always buy another kit later on if you need it.

Also with core unlocking the 555 has the best sucess rate but as speedway said its not guaranteed to work, and if it does there is no way to monitor the core temperatures.

The phenom unlocked to quad would be much faster than an athlon 640, depends if you want to risk it not unlocking.

Edited by Owenisbad