New i5 and i7 Processors

Has anyone done any "real-life" testing on the new i5 and sub $300 i7 processors yet? I'm curious as to how these change the game for the mid to upper-mid computer gamer.

How are these new chips looking when put up against the 920 and the AMD 965s and what not?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, thank you!

i'm not sure this is the right place for this but if not i apologize to the mods but rather than start a new thread...

i'm going to be putting together a new build soon

cpu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115214

mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128402

and it seems like everywhere i look people are complaining about the stock cpu cooler that comes in the box.

so will i be able to use my sunbeam cc120 with this new socket or do i need to look for different fan/sink arrangement?

if the holes are the same i can just use the same hardware and not have to buy anything else....

does anyone here know if the 1156 fan attachment holes are the same as the socket 775 and if not is there a recommended fan sink arrangement for the new socket??

thanx

cj

B:)

does anyone here know if the 1156 fan attachment holes are the same as the socket 775 and if not is there a recommended fan sink arrangement for the new socket??

They don't have the same mounting holes. I don't know of any sinks to recommend.

I got the MSI P55 GD-65 and the core i7 860 at Microcenter (DFW) Friday evening. (The 860 was like $229 which is $100 off!) I have found a "few" 1156 coolers for them. Right now they are few and far between. The first one was the newer Cooler Master Hyper212+, There are 2 of them from Zalman ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120 and the not so extreme version CNPS10X 120 and that crappy Thermaltake SpinQ as well. On a side note, I heard one of the Noctua HS will fit too. The i7 860 overclocked up to 3.7ghz easily with just the stock heatsink and a little tap on the volts with the MSI P55. In genie mode it got up to 3.5 but seemed to be unstable unless I took out 2 sticks of ram. The ram is also another issue. I have some older DDR3 Corsair 1600 9-9-9-24 with the stock volt settings would be 1.8, on this motherboard it can be set at 1.65 and defaults at 7-7-7-18 on the timings. No issues with that either as far as I can tell. Some of the other memory out there may not work as well. I couldn't get it to boot up on a set of old Patriot DDR3 1066 to save my live. It's stock voltage is 2.0v. I had to disable load line calibration so it would run stable during Prime 95 and occt. It' has a bit of a beast to be unleashed for sure BUT I gotta wait til my Cooler Master 212 comes in. I'm going to set it up as a push-pull system with 2-90cfm fans. On another side note, One thing I really like about the p55 setup is NO NB to mess with! YAY! One less thing to heat up the case and cause instability! :thumbs-up:

Edited by Hedghawg71

I got the MSI P55 GD-65 and the core i7 860 at Microcenter (DFW) Friday evening. (The 860 was like $229 which is $100 off!) I have found a "few" 1156 coolers for them. Right now they are few and far between. The first one was the newer Cooler Master Hyper212+, There are 2 of them from Zalman ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120 and the not so extreme version CNPS10X 120 and that crappy Thermaltake SpinQ as well. On a side note, I heard one of the Noctua HS will fit too. The i7 860 overclocked up to 3.7ghz easily with just the stock heatsink and a little tap on the volts with the MSI P55. In genie mode it got up to 3.5 but seemed to be unstable unless I took out 2 sticks of ram. The ram is also another issue. I have some older DDR3 Corsair 1600 9-9-9-24 with the stock volt settings would be 1.8, on this motherboard it can be set at 1.65 and defaults at 7-7-7-18 on the timings. No issues with that either as far as I can tell. Some of the other memory out there may not work as well. I couldn't get it to boot up on a set of old Patriot DDR3 1066 to save my live. It's stock voltage is 2.0v. I had to disable load line calibration so it would run stable during Prime 95 and occt. It' has a bit of a beast to be unleashed for sure BUT I gotta wait til my Cooler Master 212 comes in. I'm going to set it up as a push-pull system with 2-90cfm fans. On another side note, One thing I really like about the p55 setup is NO NB to mess with! YAY! One less thing to heat up the case and cause instability! :thumbs-up:

thanx for the insight Hedghawg71, every little bit helps. as for memory i recently picked up 4g of gskill ripjaw at 777 19 currently breaking in in my folding rig that i believe will do the trick and i have a virgin samsung f1 spinpoint 1tb gettin dusty in the cupboard waiting for things to come together...the only glitch seems to be the cooling for overclocking....i've sent an email to sunbeamtech to urge them to get on the ball and get an 1156 bracket together and i messaged ccokeman about other cooling options and he's recommended a couple of the same sink/fan setups that you've suggested...it's all good...!!

cya

cj

:thumbs-up:

thanx for the insight Hedghawg71, every little bit helps. as for memory i recently picked up 4g of gskill ripjaw at 777 19 currently breaking in in my folding rig that i believe will do the trick and i have a virgin samsung f1 spinpoint 1tb gettin dusty in the cupboard waiting for things to come together...the only glitch seems to be the cooling for overclocking....i've sent an email to sunbeamtech to urge them to get on the ball and get an 1156 bracket together and i messaged ccokeman about other cooling options and he's recommended a couple of the same sink/fan setups that you've suggested...it's all good...!!

cya

cj

:thumbs-up:

I'm glad I could help! This is rig #2 for me as well. This one will be a bit more portable than my current one.

The Core Contact 120 is a nice heatsink but the way it mounts will need another ring or you could Make something with a few brackets and a trip to the hardware store now that I think about it. I ma not sure it can handle the load of 8 threads at 4.0GHz effectively.

The Core Contact 120 is a nice heatsink but the way it mounts will need another ring or you could Make something with a few brackets and a trip to the hardware store now that I think about it. I ma not sure it can handle the load of 8 threads at 4.0GHz effectively.

well i'll have to figure something out because i just received email notification from the egg that my mobo has shipped...or stick with the factory intel sink until a better alternative can be had...argh

i'll order the cpu next paycheck....3 paydays this month ... :D hurray