LianLi Lancool K62 140mm Side Window Fan Installation

Once I swapped my hardware out of the Antec 900 and into the K62 case, the first thing I missed was some side panel ventilation for my twin HD 5770s in Crossfire. And my cards missed it too - to the tune of almost 10C on the top card. LianLi cases are great not only because of the build quality, but also the vast array of accessories that you can order for them. Unfortunately I'm cheap and broke most of the time and the least expensive factory side panel I could find had dual cutouts for 140mm fans and the panel was kind of pricey - $59 smacks plus shipping to be exact. So....... with some encouragement from Doc I stopped by the local Harbor Freight store and invested in a hole saw kit. From there I hit the hardware store and purchased 2 sq. ft of black fiberglass screen to use as a dust filter. The last stop before starting my project was O'Reilly Auto for some of that door ding trim stuff.

A break down for materials and tools;

Hole Saw Kit (made in China) $10.99

Black Fiberglass Screening $3.50

Black Door Ding Trim $9.89 (got ripped off there.....)

So total cost of my project was $24.38

Sorry for the crummy pics, but I was in a bigger hurry to finish the project than I was to take pics.

Step 1

Remove the plexiglass side panel

dscf2224.jpg

By wevsspot at 2010-05-06

Step 2

Tools of the trade (the 5" hole saw worked perfect for the 140mm fan)

dscf2229e.jpg

Step 3

Drilled the main vent hole and the mounting screw holes

dscf2226q.jpg

Step 4

Installed 140mm Xigmatek case fan

dscf2230h.jpg

Step 5

The finished product (with some scratches and buff marks on the plexiglass that weren't there when I started :()

dscf2242w.jpg

dscf2250h.jpg

The entire project took about one hour including the time I spent trying to buff the "new" scuffs and scratches off the plexiglass panel. By the way - the 140mm fan has a large enough flow area that it also provides some active cooling for the nb heatsink on the P6TD Deluxe :)

Now, can someone recommend me a good polishing compound for removing scratches in plexiglass? Tried and proven only :)

Hope you enjoy Doc!

Edited by wevsspot

Very nice work Wev!

What kind of 140mm fan is that?

Wellp, it says Xigmatek on it. And in his post he says it's a Xigmatek. So I'd say it's probably one of these.

Looks good. :D

Couldn't agree more, thats the same stuff my buddies uses to remove scratches from his Laser Disk's.

Wait, laser disks? THOSE THINGS ARE HUGE! and awesome.

Oh good work on the case.

Thanks guys. After talking to Doc yesterday and listening to his recommendations I stopped by the local wally world and picked up one of the Turtle Wax headlamp restoration kits ($8.99) and some Meguiars Plastx Polish ($4.99) and went to work on the side panel. All I can say is that with a little patience that stuff works wonders. The side panel plexiglass looks almost new and I'm very happy now with the way this project turned out.

Edited by wevsspot