SCSI drive setup

capthowdy575

Well i came across three SCSI drives today two of them are 36gb 10,00rpm the other one is a 73gb 15,00rpm drive. I also have the SCSI card. my question is how would i setup a raid 0 setup with the two 36gb then have the 73 gb just being a single drive also i was wondering if there is a certain order you have to plug the drive in to make them work. im a really big noob when it comes to the SCSI drives thanks for the help

must have a scsi cable rated to the correct speeds of the drives, as well as a card.

for example a 2906 adaptec card will do you no good with LVD or SCA drives. you'll need the correct card and cables to do anything.

then you have to set up for termination, SCSI LUN (or ID's) on the drives and card.

well they were working when i shut of fthe computer and got them out. but i don't know if they were in a raid or not. at the bottom of the card is says AMI series 475 REV-B3 i typed it into Google and it came up with basically nothing. the cable says Planar control 20UTK 03/0CT/02 AT. then at the end of the card it says single mode LVD terminator and it has a box thing at the end that says AMP TERMINATOR.

Edited by capthowdy575

ok some quick questions can i put xp on these in a raid. also i cant find the drives for this need some help please. also does a gigabyte DS3R P35 have a 3.3v or 5v pci slot i read the link you posted but im pretty lost now. sorry for being such a noob this is the first time ever dealing with something like this.

Edited by capthowdy575

• 2 weeks later...

well im pretty lost on how to setup these drives. I was reading though the link you provided (thanks by the way) and i have a couple of questions about some things first can i install a os on these drives just like you would a regular hard or do i need to do it in windows or something. also does it matter what order i set the hard drives in. also what can of performance increase would i see on load times would it be a better idea to sell all this and get two raptors?

• 2 months later...

When i try to install the drives from a floppy its saying that file textsetup.oem caused and unexpected error 4096 at line 1747. any ideas on how to fix this one. do i need to make the floppy a bootable or something i just did a format then drag and drop the files to the floppy?

Edited by capthowdy575

boot from the Win XP CD with just the RAID-0 array, and no other harddrive connected

press F6 when prompted (usually about 3 seconds after the blue installation background appears)

insert floppy when prompted for device drivers

load driver(s)

continue XP install as normal

after XP installation, turn off, connect other harddrives... it's the same process as any XP on primary RAID installation

(if this is exactly what you are doing, try a different floppy disk, or re-copying the files)