700 To Build Video Editing Machine

apostolics

ok i have a friend that is a film student she has 700 to work with. she needs to make documentaries (i say she should make one on OCC Folding Cause) any way back on topic here are my two options

option1.laptop (leaning towards dell inspiron 1505 cpu core [email protected] 1 gig of ram)

or

option 2. self build pc . but i need a specs. i will do free labor for her. i has software :ph34r: so just hardware.

700 is cutting it close. i say tower all the way. and for video editing you need alot of ram atlest 2gb and a 250gb hdd for starters. the cpu doenst have to be top of the line since this is a low end video machine. i suggest skimp on the video card, case, sound card b/c you need raw power, space and ram.

now for the software i hope you have $$$ b/c thats the costly part.

anyways i say

Intel Duo 2

MB

2gb ram

250gb HDD

Cheap case

20$ sound card

$50ish video card

and your set for the cheapest simi good video editng machine

When you say hardware I'm guessing you mean everything?

i.e.

CPU

Motherboard

RAM

HDD/s

CD/DVD Drive/s

Case

Power Supply

Graphics Card

Sound Card

Monitor

Keyboard + Mouse

Speakers

(did I miss anything?)

Because if you need everything then it obviously affects how much you can budget for the important stuff.

don't get an extra sound card. onboard will be good for this.

Pentium D 805 (yes it's not a C2D but it's FINE on this budget and can be upgraded later)

and you'll also need some kind of input device if it's a digital or analog video camera. might get lucky with USB but it's SLOW.