Choppy Game Play

well I have a new video card, agp XFX 6800 128 mb, and I still get like a choppy moment during game play. Its more like a "mini freeze" it makes a stutering sound and it freezes and some lag issues. I am wondering if my processor is over heating or if something is wrong with the BIOS settings. I have the latest card driver and direct x driver. PLEASE HELP ME.

I've had the same problem with my 9800 Pro and I've never been able to figure it out. Jeremy might be right because mine does it like when CS:S is almost done loading and I have iTunes playing in the back ground it stutters to. If you do find some kind of a solution please let me know.

I've had the same problem with my 9800 Pro and I've never been able to figure it out.  Jeremy might be right because mine does it like when CS:S is almost done loading and I have iTunes playing in the back ground it stutters to.  If you do find some kind of a solution please let me know.

467839[/snapback]

ok, we should stay intouch then bloodysunday, i am going to put a new heatsink on, maybe that will help, and i have 512 mb ddr and 128 on video card, i dont think that is a problem. Maybe curropted data on the harddrive.

I've always had that problem with my aiw9800 pro, never figured it out completely. Try completely deleting all the drivers and video card files using DriverCleaner 3, then re-install them. Having v-sync on can also cause problems, along with the sound acceleration on audigy1/2's.

Programs running in the background like IM, firewall, anti-virus, sytem monitors, they all cut into the CPU cycles and can cause stutters.

Usually, it's no so much a heat issue as a software setup problem. I had stutters really bad when only 512mb was installed, now I've got 1gb and that helps some. Not having enough RAM is usually the main culprit.

I have that same problem even with a vmodded x800 Pro on system intensive apps like UT04 & Farcry-it's most likely due to having 512 Mb or less RAM and/or not a huge amount of CPU cache.

increase virtual memory and see if that helps?

also when increasing virtual memory ive heard its good to create an exact amount of space, like where it says 800-1200mb change it to 950-950mb. i have done it on two computers (older) with slight noticable differences so give it a try :).

Edit

example... i have 40 gigs free space so i gave windows 1gig for virtual memory

Edited by Onyks

Guest Raven65

More ram might work. but what type of monitor do you have a CRT or LCD? sometimes an lcd with less than 600 res and 25 ms response cause the games to jump.

Well I reformatted my harddrive, and thats always a pain in the a**. Anyways I got rid of the choppy moments. So I am guessing that it was a bad driver, I think it was the mobo driver. But my card kinda "blew up". The same time my cousin did and he fixed it with some trouble shooting and told me what to do. It might be a power problem, like you have one plug n with multiply plugs for the hd and video card or whatever. Well make sure you have one plug pluged into the video card and to nothing else. NOTHING ELSE.

• 3 weeks later...