delidding worth every penny.

rieds

i just got my 4770k back from delidding. when i bought this chip 3 years ago i didn't know much about overclocking haswell chips. i got it to 4.6 by raising multiplier and vcore and was happy. i was bored one day and read some haswell overclocking guides and looked at stats for other overclocked 4770k's and realised my 4.6 at 1.2 vcore was well above average. so i pushed for more. i got to 4.9 with 1.36 vcore and new it had more but my temps even when stressing with x264 were in the low 90's with a custom watercooling loop for cpu only. threw it back in the rig today after 20 loops my temps never got over 70c. i'm currently stressing at 5.1 with 1.41 and after 10 loops my max temps is 80c. delidding was worth every penny. 

would it be worth the trouble delidding a 4690 K

Depends. It's never worth the trouble for me, since I've got the technique down (hammer and vice method), where it takes less than a minute to delid. The rest of the time is cleaning out the IHS TIM and glue and applying new TIM.

Plus, if you're keeping it at say, 4.4GHz and temps aren't going above 85C, it might be fine for most people. However, if you're limited by temps, delidding will do wonders. I used to keep a 3770K at 4.6GHz because temps would start getting up to 88C at 4.9GHz when running Prime95. Once I delidded it, temps never became the issue, and it was only voltage that limited my overclocks (I believe it got to 5.0GHz at 1.48V's or something - it wasn't a great overclocker, but good enough for me). Temps never got above 70C using a 120.4 radiator in push/pull.

Still, it could also be worth it if you're trying to save money on cooling. For example, a $25 CM Hyper 212+ might get your 4690K to 4.4GHz at 85C. Say you wanted it at 4.6GHz, but to do that, you were going to pay $100 for something like a Corsair H100, which would maybe get your CPU to 4.6GHz, but temps still at 85C. If you delid you CPU, which is basically free, you could get your 4690K to 4.6GHz with temps maxing out at 85C. So, you basically saved $75 by not having to pay for a better CPU cooler.

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few guides about delidding, but I'm curious about something. Once it's delided, cleaned, etc. Do you put the IHS back onto the chip, but with some new TIM? Or do you actually press the heatsink onto the chip directly?

I've seen quite a few guides about delidding, but I'm curious about something. Once it's delided, cleaned, etc. Do you put the IHS back onto the chip, but with some new TIM? Or do you actually press the heatsink onto the chip directly?

You can do either, but it's really easy to chip the chip if it's not flush with the CPU cooler and the pressure isn't evenly distributed. Some people create or use something similar to a MSI Die Guard (which only comes with certain MSI motherboards). However, most people just put CLU or CLP (Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra or Pro), or Noctua NT-H1 TIM, and put the IHS back on. Once it's in the motherboard socket, it's pretty secure from coming off, but may slide around when not in the motherboard socket. You can also use a very thin layer of quick-acting epoxy on the edges so the IHS is back on securely, but with enough pressure, you could take the IHS off to re-apply your TIM again if needed.

it failed at 26 passes of x264 v2.7. i went as high as 1.45 vcore and 2.15 vccin and couldn't get past 36 passes. my temps still never went any higher than 84c and i may have got there with more vcore but 1.45 is my limit. theres one listed at overclock.net at 5.125 ibt stable with phase change cooling. and three at 5.0 with water cooling. i'm sticking with 4.9, 43 uncore with 1.36 vcore and 2.12 vccin. when i get time i'm gonna try dropping my dram speed from 2600 which is way overkill to try and get the vccin and aux down some. the highest i see listed aida64 stable picture verified is 4.8. i'd never get 4.9  aida64  stable without throttling. that test is way hotter than x264. for what i use my rig for i'm happy with x264 stable overnight.