Roccat Kave static/buzzing

Eduard

Ok so I recently purchased the Roccat Kave headset http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Sound/ROCCAT-Kave-5-1/ and have had an annoying buzzing-ringing sound coming from them. From searching around this seems to be a common occurrence with no sure-fire fix, that I can find anyway :( . I

Interesting, since I have the same headphones and the same MoBo. I also had the same problem and I summed it up as an issue with the built-in audio. I solved it by buying and installing a Asus Xonar DS (guessing any soundcard will do). No static since and better audio quality overall.

If not only to solve your issue you should consider getting a soundcard, you can usually get a simple one pretty cheap and still get much better audio than the standard. 

Maybe I should think of a sound card for a future investment, but I'm almost considering returning this headset.

The tightness of the band and the padding on it make it rather uncomfortable for me to wear for over an hour at a time, which is unfortunate because I was really looking forward to using these more.

I guess I should call for any suggestions as a replacement within the same price range $80-$100 AUD

Just as a note on the headphones, I've used mine for a couple of years now and can use them for 12 hrs without issue. I can tell you that the pads soften up after like 2-3 months, sounds like alot, up to you if you want to return them. I know they're not for everyone.

Did you find that with the material that your head/mostly your ears get hot?
I'm not sure about these headphones but I might keep a hold of them, at least until next week.

I suppose back to the initial question then, does anyone know of any software issues that could be contributing to this sound, or is it simply a hw issue with electrical interference?

Disconnect your front audio ports from the motherboard. My gf's rig was doing the same thing.

This happens often with front audio inputs that share a ground with the USB bus. You can mod the extension board to use a different ground as well if you want to keep front audio.

Your sound card will get interference from the USB devices and cause buzzing. There is a good guide somewhere on how to get rid of it if you don't mind soldering.

So you're saying that I should disconnect my front audio inputs, the one's that my headset aren't plugged into?

I don't use a sound card at the moment, I currently have this headset plugged into the motherboard.

I don't mind some soldering/modding. Are you able to point me in the direction of that guide or something along those lines.

Edited by Eduard

Have disconnected my front audo inputs but there is still static coming from the headset. Also diconected one case fan to see if that would make any difference, but it didn't change the static at all.
Is there the posibility that this is a realtek driver problem?

Update:
I have done some cable management and made sure I had nothing going over near the audio ports and I have managed (somehow) to reduce the the hissing noise (it is still there, only just) and eliminate the constant buzzing noise. From what I have read the hissing could be due to usb connections that aren't properly grounded, is there anyone who can confirm this? If that is the case, what can I do to rectify this problem?

Update:

I have done some cable management and made sure I had nothing going over near the audio ports and I have managed (somehow) to reduce the the hissing noise (it is still there, only just) and eliminate the constant buzzing noise. From what I have read the hissing could be due to usb connections that aren't properly grounded, is there anyone who can confirm this? If that is the case, what can I do to rectify this problem?

Yep, that is exactly what I was going for. In my GF's case, the USB ports on the front of her tower shared a ground that caused interference and an annoying buzzing through the headset. The buzzing would actually slightly change pitch when you moved the mouse around. Disconnecting the front USB/audio port panel from the motherboard cured it for her, but if you tried that and its still going then I'm not sure what the next step will be. She didn't have a sound card either, it was the onboard sound.

What cables did you move that helped? If they were PSU cables, maybe removing your PSU and sleeving it with shielded wrap will eliminate the rest. If it was a SATA cable, they make shielded ones of those as well. Are any of your speakers right  near the tower? The magnets in them could be causing interference as well...

Edited by Puck