New PSU

I'm buying a new PSU this week, either from El_Capitan if the testing goes well, or from newegg. The psu Capitan has is a Corsair AX750W which I would love, but I am exploring other options in case it fails or falls through for whatever reason. I was looking a few psu's on the egg and came up with three brands I would go for, seasonic, corsair, or OCZ. Now I'm just trying to figure out the wattage. I'm positive the AX750W is enough, but in case I don't get it would a 650w suffice?

This is what I'm running, as well as some upgrades coming this week

Phenom iix4 965 BE

8GB gskill ram

X2 HD 5770's (looking to upgrade to two HD 7850's or 7870's)

Corsair force 3 120gb SSD

X2 1 TB seagate barracuda (probably cutting to 1 this week)

Corsair H50

3 120mm Led coolermaster sickle flows

3 200mm led coolermaster megaflows

On an Asus M4a79t deluxe.

Probably gonna try to OC everything considering I'll be building an intel machine later this year.

Also lookin for a PSU that I can transfer over when I retire my phenom build.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you'll for sure be upgrading the 5770s, I would probably lean towards a 750W model just to be on the safe side. I know the 78xx series is pretty efficient power wise, but you can never be too safe imo.

Go with HX850, instead of being going for AX750. Almost same price and higher wattage. And you will need at least 750Watt to be safe.

Edited by d6bmg

Go with HX850, instead of being going for AX750. Almost same price and higher wattage. And you will need at least 750Watt to be safe.

He's right. It's usually good practice to get about 100W more than you're required to. Especially because overclocking is far more stable when you're within a certain amount of PSU load.

depends on what you are going to get as the new system.. If you intend to 4 way sli then try a 1.2KW PSU or better... lol, But the question is what kind of system will you be building so I can make a educated recommendation.

As for the new system, it would be either a 2500k or 2600k build, with an h60 or h80, a decent Asus mobo and 12gb ram. Hdd, ssd, and video cards would be transferred with psu, as well as case, fans, and my fan controller an optical drive. May throw in a blue ray drive for giggles

Yeah, I would go with 750 w PSU. 750 w is the absolute max your PC can take up and I have never in my life seen anyone get up to max power consumption. The only time it is possible is when you are running prime 95, heaven benchmark set to max, Crysis 2 set as high as possible, and you are repairing a raid array all at once. As long as you don't overclock, you should be fine.

Then when you get your intel system with some Nvidia cards (nvidia looking to be cheaper and more powerful than AMD this year ;) ) your PSU should be overkill :evilgrin:

IMHO the 650 you have right now would be more than enough for what you're planning. A pair of 7870s uses what, 300 watts max?

Yes. At max 300, after overclocking it may be around 350. :dunno: But I think PSU is one time purchase, and its better to have a very good one which can handle some future updates easily and above all last in at least 2 builds.