Suggestions for a Video-Editing Rig

Rothagonithagie

so i've been running on my crappy i5 for a few years now and decided enough is enough.

i tend to spend most of the time video editing, and hours of rendering just ain't cool...

-the decision i need to make now is if i should go for a dual LGA (sr-2) mobo, or a 2011socket mobo.

-another thing is with the set-up for the harddrives, whether i should go SSD or get a few 7200rpm drives and raid them.

i lack a huge amount of knowledge in these matter.

my budget will vary around $2000 - $4000,

help is kindly appreciated :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More specs about your current build.

Info on what files you are working with as well as programs.

Also link/s to site/s where you can buy.

Will all help people to get you underway with a video editing build.

Also I don't think you will need a budget of $4k hell even $2k is plenty more than enough.

another thing to consider, is this video editing being used for personal or professional use?

because if your getting paid per job, spending extra on that faster cpu etc can pay for itself rather quickly.

video rendering scales almost perfectly with the amount of power you have, so more cores are better.

if your looking at this kind of budget a intel 6 core like the 3930k would be the minimum you would run.

i am doing a dual cpu build with the new evga sr-x (successor to the sr-2) with dual 6 core xeons. im looking at the base model 6 cores which are $400 each and are 6c12t at 2 ghz. im not sure if your interested in overclocking the cpus or not. i sure am, because the higher speed ones are crazy expensive, and video rendering responds very well to speed increases.

something like a 240gb ssd with some slower hdds for data storage would be good for your uses, as uncompressed video is very large.

when you can get some more info to us it will allow us to set you on the right track.

also, welcome to the occ :cheers:

WELL,

most of the files i work with are 1080p files at 30/60fps

occasionally, i would have to produce 35Mbps videos.

despite having slow rendering speed,

my computer struggles at previewing footage in Sony Vegas 10(64bit).

pre-rendering the footage as i go along is usually what i have do.

Current Build

CPU: i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz

RAM: 2x 2GB

GPU: 4870x2

MOBO: GA-P55A-UD3R

just running on two 1.5TB harddrives un-raided and almost full

on Windows 64bit

where i got my stuff from:

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

WELL,

most of the files i work with are 1080p files at 30/60fps

occasionally, i would have to produce 35Mbps videos.

despite having slow rendering speed,

my computer struggles at previewing footage in Sony Vegas 10(64bit).

pre-rendering the footage as i go along is usually what i have do.

Current Build

CPU: i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz

RAM: 2x 2GB

GPU: 4870x2

MOBO: GA-P55A-UD3R

just running on two 1.5TB harddrives un-raided and almost full

on Windows 64bit

where i got my stuff from:

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

ah, another aussie (we are slowly taking over the occ :ph34r: )

It looks like Vegas Pro 11 can use OpenCL to accelerate encoding with your GPU.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/sony-releases-opencl-accelerated-vegas-pro-11/

That should REALLY speed up processing of your 1080p video since you have quite a good GPU.

I would download the trial and see if it makes a big enough difference.

EDIT:

It looks like they require a 57xx or higher card for acceleration. Your 4870x2 is around the performance of a 5870 or 6870 though, but I guess its either an artificial requirement or a architectural incompatibility.

Edited by 90sgamer

@Muchoman1

Yes... yes indeed. :P

anyways,

I don't think i will be able to acquire the sr-x build which you suggested from msy, but i will keep that in mind.

i'm happy to go for a single 2011 LGA chipset as it is already a huge(exaggerated) step up from my current build.

also,

how much will the GPU come into affect while doing video editing ? which one would you guys recommend ?

and, is there such thing as 2xSSD RAID 0 ???

@Muchoman1

Yes... yes indeed. :P

anyways,

I don't think i will be able to acquire the sr-x build which you suggested from msy, but i will keep that in mind.

i'm happy to go for a single 2011 LGA chipset as it is already a huge(exaggerated) step up from my current build.

also,

how much will the GPU come into affect while doing video editing ? which one would you guys recommend ?

and, is there such thing as 2xSSD RAID 0 ???

well the sr-2 would be the next best thing from the sr-x as far as power, but it is still very expensive (especially to get in aus, the mobo here is over 700 with 5-600 for each cpu).

the 3930k build would be the most performance per dollar, that thing overclocks really well (please answer if you are planning on overclocking)

you can raid 0 ssds (im doing it with dual 120gb in my current pc)

the gpu comes into play alot when using opencl. funnily enough gpus are good at rendering video *insert sarcasm here*

with gpu acceleration for rendering it only allows 1 gpu *but* dual gpu cards count as 1 gpu for vegas pro. so at this point in time a 6990 would be best performance, untill the 7990, which is a fair way off for now

Some Video encoding software uses the features in GPU (eg. CUDA) so a good GPU would be a plus in many occasions.

Here's my suggestion (I'm linking to PCCG since MSY is timing out on me)

Board: ASUS P9X79-PRO - $339

CPU: i7 3930K - $709

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 16GB 12800 - $115

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD - $749

SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB x2 - $199 x2 = $398

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 - $95

Total: $2405

Honestly, I think even an i7 2700K should do the trick for around $200 less. But you can't go wrong with a 2011 built.

:cheers:

Edited by vandreadstriker

:lol: went to a North American site just to meat more Aussies :D

I am with mucho on pretty my everything he has said.

Going with a 2011 mobo and a 3930k (WC and OC too if you want) with a 7990 when they arrive will be your best bet for getting the most out of your money with stupid Aussie prices.

Raid SSDs is the easiest way to get some damn nice speeds and larger size SSD without spending mega bucks.

HDDs suck at the moment thanks to floods and the prices in Australia a horrendous.

MSY is a good site

PCCG is better imo especially if shipping is required

Although I can suggest more depending on location (mainly Melbourne area.

It looks like Vegas Pro 11 can use OpenCL to accelerate encoding with your GPU.

http://www.cgchannel.com/2011/10/sony-releases-opencl-accelerated-vegas-pro-11/

That should REALLY speed up processing of your 1080p video since you have quite a good GPU.

I would download the trial and see if it makes a big enough difference.

EDIT:

It looks like they require a 57xx or higher card for acceleration. Your 4870x2 is around the performance of a 5870 or 6870 though, but I guess its either an artificial requirement or a architectural incompatibility.

it's been confirmed that my 4870x2 does not support it, which means a new GPU will be mandatory in my shopping list.

well the sr-2 would be the next best thing from the sr-x as far as power, but it is still very expensive (especially to get in aus, the mobo here is over 700 with 5-600 for each cpu).

the 3930k build would be the most performance per dollar, that thing overclocks really well (please answer if you are planning on overclocking)

you can raid 0 ssds (im doing it with dual 120gb in my current pc)

the gpu comes into play alot when using opencl. funnily enough gpus are good at rendering video *insert sarcasm here*

with gpu acceleration for rendering it only allows 1 gpu *but* dual gpu cards count as 1 gpu for vegas pro. so at this point in time a 6990 would be best performance, untill the 7990, which is a fair way off for now

i probably/most likely won't be doing any overclocking but it may be something i'd do in the future.

a 7960 is definitely considerable considering the amount of gaming that is involved.

with the dual 120GB raid 0, do you find yourself running out of memory from time to time?

or does installing programs on other drives affects the speed?

Some Video encoding software uses the features in GPU (eg. CUDA) so a good GPU would be a plus in many occasions.

Here's my suggestion (I'm linking to PCCG since MSY is timing out on me)

Board: ASUS P9X79-PRO - $339

CPU: i7 3930K - $709

RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 16GB 12800 - $115

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R797OC-3GD - $749

SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB x2 - $199 x2 = $398

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 - $95

Total: $2405

Honestly, I think even an i7 2700K should do the trick for around $200 less. But you can't go wrong with a 2011 built.

:cheers:

that looks more or less like the build i'm looking for, perhaps a few more HDD for storage.

cheers for that :)

suggest me a high tower case that fits the cpu cooler which you have indicated?

another question about SATA3 drives, are they as fast as people say they are when raid'd? (sorry for being uneducated)

i will need to do more research on which GPU to purchase too

Edited by Rothagonithagie

it's been confirmed that my 4870x2 does not support it, which means a new GPU will be mandatory in my shopping list.

i probably/most likely won't be doing any overclocking but it may be something i'd do in the future.

a 7960 is definitely considerable considering the amount of gaming that is involved.

with the dual 120GB raid 0, do you find yourself running out of memory from time to time?

or does installing programs on other drives affects the speed?

that looks more or less like the build i'm looking for, perhaps a few more HDD for storage.

cheers for that :)

suggest me a high tower case that fits the cpu cooler which you have indicated?

another question about SATA3 drives, are they as fast as people say they are when raid'd? (sorry for being uneducated)

i will need to do more research on which GPU to purchase too

well for a new gpu the best one for rendering is the 6990, but the 7990 will be the best once its released.

a 7970/7950 would be better than a 6970, but less than a 6990, but all of those cards are very good at rendering.

just remember that except for dual gpu cards, crossfire wont work with the openCL

i havent run out of space on my ssd. ive used up 120gb of 240, but thats because ive got a heap of crap on there already, cause i hdd cloned from my 1tb caviar black rather than a fresh install.

ive got dual 2tb hdds that i use for bulk storage. one is called "system storage" and its where i install most programs, all my games and stuff like that. my c drive has windows, all of adobe cs5, some vm software, and alot of misc stuff that was installed on my old 1tb. the last drive is "file storage" which has all my documents, downloads, pictures, movies and the like. anything that i download goes onto there untill it gets sent to the other drives if it needs or it just stays there.

im doing a reinstall of windows for my new build, and being much more careful what i install on my ssd, so i will end up with lots more space.

as for overclocking. the sandy bridge cpus make it almost too easy, alot of boards have built in overclocking presets that go from 3.8-4.5 ghz with just a click of a button, with those you can usually back the voltage down a bit too after and get even better temps.

cs5 is much faster once its installed on my ssd. im getting 500 mb read writes atm, but thats only because my mobo cant raid sata 3 =/

each of my drives can do 500 read write by itself, so when i get it on my sr3 it should get around 1gb read writes, which is very fast.

for you, you should install your rendering programs on the ssd, and have the rendered vid output to the ssd too, then you can make sure your disk speed isnt limiting your machine, cause with a 7990 and 3930k rendering, it will really fly.

imho, leave all games off the ssd, because you really dont notice the speed increase at all, even loading times isnt much better.

sata 3 for hdds is a scam, no hdd can go above sata 2 speed. sata 3 was only put in for ssds, cause they hit the wall real quick.

nice full towers are things like the:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_31&products_id=19128

expensive but very very very big and nice. my friend got one and its a dream to build in

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_31&products_id=14840

very nice full tower, great for air cooling due to the heap of fans, but rather plasticy

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_961&products_id=12727

very nice case and most of it is metal, except a few internal covers and clips. mostly for watercooling, aircooling performance is only average

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_238&products_id=15090

big case, cheap, lots of airflow but very plasticy, not cheap plastic, it feels very solid but its just lots of plastic