NZXT Havik 120 Review

bp9801

Just went through that review.

Overall performance of Havik is very good IMO.

No doubt, being a substantially cheaper heatsink than the D14 it came out pretty well in comparison. When it comes down to heatsinks either you get the best or you get a budget cooler, and this is right in between.

EDIT: Though the 140 seemed to do better, and at 5 dollars more (from what I've seen price-wise) you can't really beat it.

Edited by Locutus

Question. What would happen if you put the havik fans on the D14? If the Havik is so close to the D14 in performance with only one tower, it must have something to do with the fans right? I say stick 2 140 mm fans on the D14 and watch the temps and see what happens.

The Havic fans have good specs,...but there are others that are a little better and quieter too.

I have an AMD FX Closed Loop Water Cooler that I bought online from someone. He kept the FX8150 and I got the cooler. :thumbsup:

It works well, but when setting the control software to the extreme setting for maximum cooling, it sounded like a P51 Airplane was taking off inside my CM Storm Sniper case.

I replaced the two AMD branded fans with a pair of 120mm Cougar Vortex PWM fans. Got them here,.....

The difference is night and day. They turn at 1500rpm max, but move 70.5cfm of air. Noise is limited to 17.9dB. They have rubber pads built into all four corners on both sides of the fan to dampen vibration/sound.

The end result is that I can run the coolers new fans at maximum without hearing them, and they work as well, or better than the fans that they replaced.

I just ordered two more of these Cougar fans to replace the fans on my H60 cooler. I recommend these fans, and I suggest they be reviewed if you can get samples..

Edited by RealNeil

^ Brilliant idea. Any reviewers up for that review?

Right now my mobo is being swapped which will hopefully fix a lot of my OC issues. I do have a d14, so if any of the reviewers aren't up to the task, someone can just let me borrow some havik fans to do some tests. I might also try to get some Delta fans and really show everyone how it is done :evilgrin:

Great review airman, both narrative and visual :thumbsup:

Those unexplained triangle cutouts down the middle of the fin array. might they be to add some turbulence that some heat-sink manufacturers believe add airspeed and cooling efficiency?

Just a theory.