Yes, Its Upgrade Time, Once Again.

Ste

How many people are planning on upgrading (to R700 or G200)?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do when these new cards are released?

• Purchase (a)n ATi R700 based board (4850, 4870, etc)
    • Purchase (a)n nVidia G200 based board (260, 280, etc)
    • Undecided, will purchase based on reviews and Benchmarks
    • Will Not purchase, sticking to current Video card

This is a poll over at Hard Forum so I figured it would be interesting to have one here as well.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1311517

As for me, I am undecided, however, at this moment in time I am leaning towards a GTX280. :unsure:

Edited by Ste

my 8800GTS SLI is working well for me at the moment... I don't game enough (5+ hours a day) like I used to, so I don't need flagship performance (and price) right now

I can play Crysis at 1920x1200 Very High (no AA obviously)... so yeah the only upgrade for me would be AA on Crysis, and at 1920x1200 it doesn't make much difference anyway

Well,

My "old" 8800GTS 640mb card still plays everything I like to play at 1680X1050 and medium to high settings depending on the game. So I'm keeping it for a while longer (until a game comes out - that I will really play - that brings my current system to it's knees).

IMHO there isn't any reason to have a card that can throw out 200fps in your favorite game if your monitor isn't capable of reproducing the frames at the same rate. As long as my lowest frame rate is better than 50-60fps then I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that since most have seen the first round of reviews for the GTX280 even more will wait for ATI's release..

Yea??

I know I am, really waiting on 4870X2 reviews..

Are you a fanboy? If so, which company do you favor?

That's what this poll should be titled...

Seriously, I missed this the first time around but given when it was posted (before we had any real info on either set of cards), that's all you can really take from it. As for me, I would vote ATi. That's weird because I generally lean towards nVidia fanboyism, but IMO this whole mega-ultra-wallet-buster card thing just bores me to tears. $600+ video card? Neat. Get back to me when you've got something I'll actually buy. ATi on the other hand will be launching cards I would actually buy. Unfortunately for both companies, I recently bought a GTS 512 and it does everything I need and a whole lot more.

Actually I am a real math person, I look at performence per dollar spent, thats why I am really disapointed with the 280's...

:(

I am leaning towards the X2's more than ever, but I must still wait on reviews.

I ban fanboys at tech-forums! :) Well, I try too, anyways..

Edited by Ste

Are you a fanboy? If so, which company do you favor?

That's what this poll should be titled...

Seriously, I missed this the first time around but given when it was posted (before we had any real info on either set of cards), that's all you can really take from it. As for me, I would vote ATi. That's weird because I generally lean towards nVidia fanboyism, but IMO this whole mega-ultra-wallet-buster card thing just bores me to tears. $600+ video card? Neat. Get back to me when you've got something I'll actually buy. ATi on the other hand will be launching cards I would actually buy. Unfortunately for both companies, I recently bought a GTS 512 and it does everything I need and a whole lot more.

I totally agree, i liked my X1950Pro more than my current GTS for some reason (nicer drivers i think) and would like to buy Ati again, but i am sure it will just come down to which offers the best value and nvidia's only talent seems to be brute force power, not really value.

Im really on the fence. Ill have to wait for more reviews before making a decision, but so far it looks like ATi is price/performance and nvidia is raw power. What I buy will really depend on when that impulse rolls around and how much money Ive got at the time :D