Photo
- - - - -

hard drive working at max transfer speed?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RADEON

RADEON

"ATI" The way N'Vidia meant it to be played

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I just got my new build up and running and I need some advice.

My mother board is the gigabyte 890fxa-ud5. The chip set drivers that came on the driver cd contain only the catalyst control panel.

As far as i know the control center is not a chip set driver. On gigabytes website it is the same thing. The download link gives you catalyst control center.

I suspect that my hard drive is not working at maximum transfer speeds. It is a sata 6 hard drive, and I have it plugged into a sata 6 plug on my mother board.

But windows only says it has a score of 5.9 on there index. That just surprised me. And seeing as I can not tell if I have the correct chip set drivers installed,

I am getting the feeling that things are not working as fast as they should be.

Any one got any advice?

#2 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

They call me... General Help.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20490 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

Mechanical drives, even stroked ones, only get a max of 5.9 in windows score. Nothing to worry about, download HD Tune and run the Benchmark and post up a screenshot when you're done :)

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ Stock :( | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 8GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

GPU Comparison tool on AnAndTech

#3 RADEON

RADEON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:02 AM

Mechanical drives, even stroked ones, only get a max of 5.9 in windows score. Nothing to worry about, download HD Tune and run the Benchmark and post up a screenshot when you're done :)

I don't know how to get a screen shot of it but my max transfer rate was 136 mb/sec.

My average was 105 mb/sec.

And my minimum was 64.8 mb/sec.

That all seem normal?

#4 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15390 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:06 AM

Sounds normal for a 7200 rpm HDD.

sig.png

Booyah.

#5 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20490 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

I don't know how to get a screen shot of it but my max transfer rate was 136 mb/sec.

My average was 105 mb/sec.

And my minimum was 64.8 mb/sec.

That all seem normal?

Yes, what kind of access time did you get?

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP
Mobo: Asus P6TD Deluxe | Processor: Intel Core i7 920 @ Stock :( | CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900MAXR | Videocard: MSI Twin Frozr HD7970
Memory: Patriot 8GB 1600mhz | OS SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB SATA | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Monitor: Samsung 30" 305T | CD/DVD: Samsung SH-S223F | Keyboard: Razer Tarantula | Mouse: Razer Lachesis

OCC Cool Club Member

#6 RADEON

RADEON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Yes, what kind of access time did you get?

My access time is 16.9 ms. Is that decent?

#7 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20490 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

My access time is 16.9 ms. Is that decent?

It's average, not the best though.

What kind of drive is it?

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#8 LuckyDeath

LuckyDeath

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

I think you were expecting a SATA III drive to achieve 6GB/s just because its plugged into a SATA III port.

Problem is, the drive just goes as fast as the drive goes. The extra bandwidth is there, but its just not used. A mechanical hard drive doesn't top out at even SATA II speed transfer limits.

Think of it like a speed limit and a car. Even if the speed limit is 300 mph, if you're driving a Ford Pinto it doesn't really matter.
Posted Image

#9 IVIYTH0S

IVIYTH0S

• Members
  • 20490 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

Think of it like a speed limit and a car. Even if the speed limit is 300 mph, if you're driving a Ford Pinto it doesn't really matter.

Lies, it does matter. Because then there'd be opportunites for epic pinto explosions!

"GilliumX58" DESKTOP

OCC Cool Club Member

#10 RADEON

RADEON

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:30 PM

I think you were expecting a SATA III drive to achieve 6GB/s just because its plugged into a SATA III port.

Problem is, the drive just goes as fast as the drive goes. The extra bandwidth is there, but its just not used. A mechanical hard drive doesn't top out at even SATA II speed transfer limits.

I was expecting sata III speeds. but I do under stand what you are saying. I did not know that mechanical drives had that limitation.

I guess I will have to get an ssd drive then.

#11 LuckyDeath

LuckyDeath

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Yeah, sorry man. Wish it was that easy.

Otherwise we would all just forget about $200 SSDs with 120GB of space and go for all those 500GB SATA III drives for $60 :-)

Its kind of a dirty marketing thing they are doing with the SATA III physical drives... there are very few situations a 7200 RPM drive would ever benefit from it (and I believe those situations would have to be RAID configurations... effectively negating the point of not just getting a SSD).
Posted Image

#12 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Reviewer
  • 15390 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Its kind of a dirty marketing thing they are doing with the SATA III physical drives... there are very few situations a 7200 RPM drive would ever benefit from it (and I believe those situations would have to be RAID configurations... effectively negating the point of not just getting a SSD).

Eh, you could say the same thing about the original SATA -> SATA II transition. Few (if any) mechanical HDDs ever performed much differently with SATA II.

So...while not beneficial to HDDs, I still would choose a SATA III drive over SATA I or II at the same price point. Why not? :P

sig.png

Booyah.