hard drive working at max transfer speed?

RADEON

I just got my new build up and running and I need some advice.

My mother board is the gigabyte 890fxa-ud5. The chip set drivers that came on the driver cd contain only the catalyst control panel.

As far as i know the control center is not a chip set driver. On gigabytes website it is the same thing. The download link gives you catalyst control center.

I suspect that my hard drive is not working at maximum transfer speeds. It is a sata 6 hard drive, and I have it plugged into a sata 6 plug on my mother board.

But windows only says it has a score of 5.9 on there index. That just surprised me. And seeing as I can not tell if I have the correct chip set drivers installed,

I am getting the feeling that things are not working as fast as they should be.

Any one got any advice?

Mechanical drives, even stroked ones, only get a max of 5.9 in windows score. Nothing to worry about, download HD Tune and run the Benchmark and post up a screenshot when you're done :)

Mechanical drives, even stroked ones, only get a max of 5.9 in windows score. Nothing to worry about, download HD Tune and run the Benchmark and post up a screenshot when you're done :)

I don't know how to get a screen shot of it but my max transfer rate was 136 mb/sec.

My average was 105 mb/sec.

And my minimum was 64.8 mb/sec.

That all seem normal?

I don't know how to get a screen shot of it but my max transfer rate was 136 mb/sec.

My average was 105 mb/sec.

And my minimum was 64.8 mb/sec.

That all seem normal?

Yes, what kind of access time did you get?

I think you were expecting a SATA III drive to achieve 6GB/s just because its plugged into a SATA III port.

Problem is, the drive just goes as fast as the drive goes. The extra bandwidth is there, but its just not used. A mechanical hard drive doesn't top out at even SATA II speed transfer limits.

Think of it like a speed limit and a car. Even if the speed limit is 300 mph, if you're driving a Ford Pinto it doesn't really matter.

Think of it like a speed limit and a car. Even if the speed limit is 300 mph, if you're driving a Ford Pinto it doesn't really matter.

Lies, it does matter. Because then there'd be opportunites for epic pinto explosions!

I think you were expecting a SATA III drive to achieve 6GB/s just because its plugged into a SATA III port.

Problem is, the drive just goes as fast as the drive goes. The extra bandwidth is there, but its just not used. A mechanical hard drive doesn't top out at even SATA II speed transfer limits.

I was expecting sata III speeds. but I do under stand what you are saying. I did not know that mechanical drives had that limitation.

I guess I will have to get an ssd drive then.

Yeah, sorry man. Wish it was that easy.

Otherwise we would all just forget about $200 SSDs with 120GB of space and go for all those 500GB SATA III drives for $60 :-)

Its kind of a dirty marketing thing they are doing with the SATA III physical drives... there are very few situations a 7200 RPM drive would ever benefit from it (and I believe those situations would have to be RAID configurations... effectively negating the point of not just getting a SSD).

Its kind of a dirty marketing thing they are doing with the SATA III physical drives... there are very few situations a 7200 RPM drive would ever benefit from it (and I believe those situations would have to be RAID configurations... effectively negating the point of not just getting a SSD).

Eh, you could say the same thing about the original SATA -> SATA II transition. Few (if any) mechanical HDDs ever performed much differently with SATA II.

So...while not beneficial to HDDs, I still would choose a SATA III drive over SATA I or II at the same price point. Why not? :P