First Overclock - AMD Athlon II X3 445

zrx

I recently bought an Athlon II X3 445 and the Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

I was wondering what a high but safe voltage would be for the processor, along with any other tips for a first time over clocker.

Thanks,

Alex

Max temp you don't want to go past: 75C

Max voltage you don't want to go past: 1.4V

As for overclocking, you have to increase the FSB (little by little. Don't go from 200 to 250 in one shot. Add 10-20 each time) and then when the PC starts to crash or reboot, add some voltage, though don't go higher than 1.4V.

Download CPU-Z, Core Temp and OCCT. The first two are information programs that will be useful for seeing what you've accomplished so far including temps, the OCCT is a stress testing software that you will need to run for about 30minutes after each overclocking to see if it's stable enough to continue. For the final version of your overclock, you run OCCT for 12 hours to see if everything is well overclocked and stable.

That's the pure basics.

• 1 month later...

Max temp you don't want to go past: 75C

Max voltage you don't want to go past: 1.4V

As for overclocking, you have to increase the FSB (little by little. Don't go from 200 to 250 in one shot. Add 10-20 each time) and then when the PC starts to crash or reboot, add some voltage, though don't go higher than 1.4V.

Download CPU-Z, Core Temp and OCCT. The first two are information programs that will be useful for seeing what you've accomplished so far including temps, the OCCT is a stress testing software that you will need to run for about 30minutes after each overclocking to see if it's stable enough to continue. For the final version of your overclock, you run OCCT for 12 hours to see if everything is well overclocked and stable.

That's the pure basics.

You can bring the voltage MUCH higher than 1.4v. I have seen a mild air setup use 1.475v without a hiccup, and watercooling with a 1.55v setup.

I somewhat disagree with both of you. If you don't intend to overclock the CPU as high as it can go then by all means keep the voltage at it's default and start increasing the bclk otherwise you bring it up as high as you like. Be smart though, don't jump from 1.4 to 1.7.... Make small increments. If you do increase the voltage by quite a bit MAKE SURE to keep an eye on the temps. I will tell you, I have an Athlon II X3 440, unlocked AND overclocked to 3.8Ghz at 1.6V with the exact same cooler (but with two fans mounted) and I am stable Prime95 Blend 10Hrs, temps don't hit 55C. AMD says VCore 0.85-1.4V and Max operating temps 55C-75C. I do agree with the temps, keep it below 75C ALWAYS. Plus make sure your PSU and mobo can handle the stress.

I recently bought an Athlon II X3 445 and the Cooler Master Hyper 212+.

I was wondering what a high but safe voltage would be for the processor, along with any other tips for a first time over clocker.

Thanks,

Alex

Many other things to look at FIRST before increase in voltage.