Best Headphones?

Pcjds2

If you were listening to the beetles 'come together', then I would rather be listening to the AD900xs any day of the week compared to the DT880s. If you were listening to dub step, I would say the exact opposite.

I would agree completely with this statement.  Like I said from the get go, there is no "best" headphone.  You have to buy the headphone that suits your needs best.  Its a lot better to take the advice from someone who listens to the same music as you.  If I cared about the Beetles or Classical music you would probably find someone agreeing with everything you said.

Since I am more into Rock, Hip-hop and EDM I prefer the Beyers.

The AKG q701s are only 230-250, and the HE-400 can be found used for 300. I even made a point in my first post that he should buy used headphones. If his budget is 500, then that leaves him 200 for the shiit magni (desktop amp) and modi (desktop dac).......sooooooo IDK what you are getting at? 

No offense but if I was going to have any of those headphones I would want a higher quality amp.  That's like buying a porsche and then worrying about fuel costs and throwing Regular in it.  The headphones you are arguing for really shine with a higher quality amp.  So if you're gonna throw a couple hundred on an amp you might as well throw a bit more and make it a true investment.  I wouldn't recommend the Magni, at least not to the OP.

If the OP wants a different point of view on the Magni, here is an unofficial review from a forum member on Head-Fi - Review: Schiit Magni.  If you don't want to read it all, though it is a good review since he compares how different headphones sound on the amp, it basically says its super cheap so its great for anyone on a budget but the sound quality isn't quite there.  Oh and btw, I found this review AFTER I typed the above paragraph.

Besides the OP said he wants a portable solution so tell me how the magni and modi option is portable?

DTs and tubes......? Mehhhhhhhhh I have played with several sets. I just do not feel like the DTs have ever been as transparent as AKGs. I know that some people would call me stupid for saying that, but I just do not like them as much as other headphones. I have tried to love them, but I always went back to my Q701s.  :dunno:

Mehhhhhhhhhhh Again you speak for yourself.   I do agree the DTs are not that transparent, which is why I would agree with you that I would pick the AD900/x over the DTs for musical genres where transparency is extremely important.   Transparency is not important in Rap/Hip-Hop though.  So to me, it seems as if you just like arguing to argue because you clearly are not taking the OP's wants into consideration on your replies.

Let me set a couple things straight. In several of my posts, I am talking with others, and then the OP in separate paragraphs posts all together. For instance, I can have a conversation with you and say the Q701s are great, and still not recommend them to the OP at all. In fact..."I too love the Q701s, but I do not think they have the right amount of bass for the OP. "

Second, my recommendations have been geared towards the OP. The HE-400s the HD600s, and the audio technica ATH-AD900x (being the cheaper solution) are all great bass headphones. The HE-400s and the HD600s can also actually do things like hip hop and dub step fairly well. But all of them have a good warm bass, and that is all the OP wanted IN HIS FIRST POST.

LATER, I read that he wanted his system to be portable and that he liked hip hop in particular, and in my last post I wrote. "Now that I know the OP wants to be mobile, then I second the shure headphones". 

I am thinking that you might not be understanding that I am having conversations with you and others that are completely devoid of my 'recommendations'. 

---------------------------------

As for the amp and dac. I would have to agree and disagree with you. I agree that I would use a different amp and dac entirely, but that is because I am willing to make that purchase. 

To someone who is looking to get great audio at a decent price, the schiit magni and modi are pretty hard to beat. To give you an idea, Schiit has had to make the asgard 2 because the schiit magni performed so well, that it sounded like it's 250 dollar older brother. So it really does have the kick that people are looking for at a decent price. 

The review you linked is made by a guy who I am not so keen on trusting. I am on head-fi a lot and some of his reviews seem a bit......off? For instance, I have played around with the schiit magni and modi at a head-fi meet. There wasn't any noise bleed. He is the first person to have mentioned it in fact. Out of the kazillion posts about the magni on the "this schiit is bananas" thread, not a single one mentions noise bleed. The other thing is that I don't think it muddies the bass. I personally find the issue to be that it is too tinny sounding. So I am not too too sure I would trust that review.  

Again though, that is my response to you in particular. For the OP, I say to go with Cmoy. The reason why is because it is as good as any FiiO POS on the market, AND since it is in a candy box, you won't worry about it getting scratched when you put it in your pocket with keys. I would not be so gentle with a FiiO product, and it would get annoying to think about how I damaged a . 

I wouldn't know what to recommend for a dac though since I am unsure what the play back device he will be using is. 

---------------------------------------------------

As for musical preference.....my point about the beetles wasn't "yay beetles" it was so that you/others can get a feel for what low, smooth, warm bass sounds like. Lindsey Stirling's "crystallize" is another song (which is actually closer to dubstep) that has the same type of bass. (I just want you to understand that I am not assuming that anyone likes a particular type of music, I am just trying to sor of make a benchmark for bass so to speak)

I do agree with you that transparency doesn't matter when the audio is essentially computer generated. 

------------------------------------------------------

As for your last statement, I refer to the first. I am trying to have multiple conversations at once. If that is messing up the thread, then I apologize. My bad completely. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me set a couple things straight. In several of my posts, I am talking with others, and then the OP in separate paragraphs posts all together.

LATER, I read that he wanted his system to be portable and that he liked hip hop in particular, and in my last post I wrote. "Now that I know the OP wants to be mobile, then I second the shure headphones". 

I think its clear to everyone reading this thread you are having multiple conversations.  I'm trying to get it back on track. I know exactly what you are doing and that is why in my previous post I stated that if you want to talk about these headphones we should do it in another topic.  Its rather distracting to have multiple conversations going on in one thread and most of the discussion really doesn't help the original point of the thread - to find headphones that match the OP's needs.

If you want to discuss sonic differences of the Q701, HE-400, HD-6x0 as well as impressions of the Magni/Modi I will participate if you want me to ...but let's do it in a different thread.   Though I will say up front, like I said in post... my viewpoint of the Magni/Modi are independant of the review I linked.  I found that review while writing that post.  I don't think its powerful enough for any of those headphones.

As far as your last recommendation to the OP it kind of confused me to be honest.   Which Shure headphone are you recommending/seconding?

@OP

I still recommend the Ultrasone Pro 900.  It's a low impedance headphone that won't need to be driven though if you throw a E11 or E17 or even the CMOY (altoid tin case mod) that Tjj recommends it would definitely benefit from it.

The Pro 900s should meet all your needs:   Price, Portability, Closed, and GREAT bass.  The vocal may not blow you out of the water but it won't be bad either.   It's really hard to find a headphone that has awesome mids and vocal with great bass and good transparancy and soundstage.  If those headphones existed there wouldn't be so many headphones out on the market.

@Fogel: I thought I had read that you were recommending the shure 940s. That is why I said I second them. I went back and I then saw that they were the ultrasones and not the shures. 

My bad. 

I am recommending the shure SRH940. To me they are practically the same darn things as the ultrasone headphones. The difference is that they need a portable amp. 

Thanks again for all the help, "Vengeance Shall Be Mine" helped a lot, and I will look into all the headphones you suggested. I just wanted to ask what the amp is. If I'm correct it's an actual mini amp, almost like an amplifier, but for headphones? If my guess is correct, then I'm really not interested. Alos, I'm not interested being a DJ or even mixing for an odd job. It's just to listen to Hip Hop music, and maybe some dubstep. Thanks again everyone! Also, just checking, you're saying that the Ultrasone Pro 900s are the best to go with?

Edited by Pcjds2

Op still kicking round somewhere?

Might be worth their while to check out some DJ phones, not anything for precisce listening but comply both on the head and round the neck. Not to mention they're portable and easy to drive.

Instead of arguing about favourites should try work out more of what the op needs.

Thanks again for all the help, "Vengeance Shall Be Mine" helped a lot, and I will look into all the headphones you suggested. I just wanted to ask what the amp is. If I'm correct it's an actual mini amp, almost like an amplifier, but for headphones? If my guess is correct, then I'm really not interested. Alos, I'm not interested being a DJ or even mixing for an odd job. It's just to listen to Hip Hop music, and maybe some dubstep. Thanks again everyone! Also, just checking, you're saying that the Ultrasone Pro 900s are the best to go with?

Then you are either looking at the ultrasone pro 900s or the shure 940s. If you aren't interested in an amp, then this boils down to a math problem. 

Someone else can do the math, but I have taken the liberty of looking up the specs. 

Ultrasone Pro 900s

Impedance: 40 ohms

Sensitivity: 96

Shure 940

Impedance: 42 Ohms

Sensitivity: 100

I completely forgot how to calculate which one is going to produce more sound. 

Hey no problem, that is what we do here at OCC, help people because most of us have needed help at some point and will again. :)

I don't like saying something is the best but I think the Ultrasone Pro 900 S-Logic headphones are a really good choice for what you are looking for.   They are extremely popular for Rap, Hip-Hop and EDM (all forms of electronica including dub).  My headphones are known for great bass but a true bass head will want the Ultrasones ...at least in this price range.

The Shure SRH940s is another set of great cans worth looking into.  I cannot speak to them as much so maybe Tjj can fill in some holes if you have specific questions.   If I was to compare these two headphones from what I know and what I've heard I would go with the Ultrasones if Hip-Hop and EDM was my main choice of music - though they can do it all without an amp.  If wanted more focus on mids, vocals and highs and listened more to Pop, Classical, Jazz and heavily driven vocal music I would go with the Shures.

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Ultrasone Pro 900s, because I'm definitely geared more towards Hip Hop, and other music with a lot of bass. Thank you for all your help! Last question, what would you say a good price is for the Ultrasones on Amazon? I found a pair for a little under 300$, is that a somewhat good price?

Hey no problem, that is what we do here at OCC, help people because most of us have needed help at some point and will again. :)

I don't like saying something is the best but I think the Ultrasone Pro 900 S-Logic headphones are a really good choice for what you are looking for.   They are extremely popular for Rap, Hip-Hop and EDM (all forms of electronica including dub).  My headphones are known for great bass but a true bass head will want the Ultrasones ...at least in this price range.

The Shure SRH940s is another set of great cans worth looking into.  I cannot speak to them as much so maybe Tjj can fill in some holes if you have specific questions.   If I was to compare these two headphones from what I know and what I've heard I would go with the Ultrasones if Hip-Hop and EDM was my main choice of music - though they can do it all without an amp.  If wanted more focus on mids, vocals and highs and listened more to Pop, Classical, Jazz and heavily driven vocal music I would go with the Shures.

You are pretty much spot on. The shures are going to be more neutral. The bass is more pronounced on the Ultrasones, BUT that is because it actually is designed to be bass heavy. In other words, the bass is 'boosted' which gives you unrealistic bass. 

This is where I start to really scratch my head about music preference. The VERY small problem I have with the ultrasones, is that I feel like the bass starts to intrude on the mids and the highs. It is not a massive problem if the hip hop you listen to is all computer generated bass, but it IS an issue if some of the music includes vocals.

If more than 30% of your music has vocals in the mids and highs, then get the shures. If you want bass and only bass, then get the ultrasones.

The other issue is what I mentioned in my last post. I do not know which headphone is going to respond better without the use of an amp. On one hand you have the shures which are more efficient than the ultrasones which in simple terms you get more bang for your buck for every little bit of power you can send to the headphone, but the impedance is higher. The situation is vice versa with the ultrasones.

I WANT to say that the shures would be better because if I am not mistaken the sensitivity of any audio source is a logarithmic scale of base 10 which means that the shures are going to be a LOT more efficient, but I forget how impedance is measured. 

That is actually a big deal because it could mean the difference between having good sounding headphones, and quiet headphones. 

Ok, then my question to that is will the bass on the Ultrasones make it so that I can't even tell what the words are in the music? This has happened to me before, where I can't here the vocals at all, and I can only here the bass and the background music. If this is the case with the Ultrasones than I definitely do not want to get them.

Ok, then my question to that is will the bass on the Ultrasones make it so that I can't even tell what the words are in the music? This has happened to me before, where I can't here the vocals at all, and I can only here the bass and the background music. If this is the case with the Ultrasones than I definitely do not want to get them.

No no, you will still hear the vocals. It just won't be as clear. The issue is VERY minute.  

Very few headphones on this planet are as bad as what you seemed to have.