Strange Netbook keyboard problem (Acer KA70)

IVIYTH0S

Hey all, so I have my friend's Acer Aspire One KA70 (AOD250 on their website, bastards lol) and it's having a very funky keyboard issue...

It's as if the windows key is malfunctioning and being hit/held all on its own.

I reinstalled Win7 (since her's was running slow and I wanted to rule out software), and it seemed like everything was good but then it started doing the same thing as before.

90% of the time, any key that's pressed that has a function combination with the windows key, activates that function.

For instance if I tried to spell Europe, it's likely inputting Win+E (open explorer), Win+U (open ease of access), Win+R (open run dialog box)...since that's what it does.

Even with my usb keyboard plugged in, the windows key is still being triggered.

Now I'm thinking *maybe* if I change the keyboard itself out, maybe the problem will go away (I'd likely try popping off that key first to check for any kind of membrane/switch damage), and while the keyboard is off, I'll boot with just the usb keyboard to confirm it's a hardware issue with the native keyboard.

I have also noticed that to open the start menu it takes two, and some times three depressions of the windows key before it pops up (it's not lag either, since I can click the menu open and closed with no issues at all).

If I have any new developments, I'll let you guys know.

(Basically, I was seeing if anyone else has had a problem like this...I can only deduct that maybe she spilled something in that area before or perhaps had something hard/heavy drop on that area and damage that/those particular key(s))

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Yeah, I disconnected the keyboard's ribbon and used only the USB keyboard and of course it worked perfectly. So it's definitely the keyboard, I'm in the process of updating it right now but once it's done I downloaded a registry hack from Microsoft that disables the windows key. That should be fine since it's not a real important key to lose for a light user. It'd piss a power user like me off who uses many windows key functions/shortcuts (especially since I readded the start menu to Win 8).

If she wants though, a new keyboard is just over $10 so it's not too bad to replace...I just hope that'd fix it, though I'm sure the disabling method will be enough for her.

Problem with the inbuilt keyboard. You can always replace it and in ebay you can get one of those for pretty cheap price.

I'll leave it up to her, for now I disabled the original windows key and then remapped that "right click" key to the windows key.

All is running fine now or as fine as an Atom,1GB 533mhz RAM, 160GB 5400RPM HDD powered machine in this day and age can :glare: