Video card shot?

WarWeeny

So I wanted to install a game for my sister and I forgot what gpu she had in her laptop, so I downloaded GPU-Z and wanted to check it.

Upon opening GPU-Z, I got an error saying it doesn't work anymore and closed by itself.

After re-opening GPU-Z, I got the following errors:

BJk7gB2.png

And this one:

I6FwFqh.png

After that, I got a real shocker when GPU-Z finally opened up.

m4XapKq.gif

pXElHMk.gif

Well, I am no expert on GPU's, but that isn't good. xD

When I install the AMD drivers from their website (I choose "recognize and install drivers" option) i get an error (after installing) that the drivers that were installed, were not the correct ones for my GPU. :wacko:

Now I get a dark brown feeling that the AMD card is a bit broken.

When i open up an emulator for example, I cannot choose the graphics card as well, so this got me worried and I thought I drop the problem here to see what is up.

The laptop has 2 gpu's btw, an intel HD4000 and the AMD 7670M.

The Intel HD is getting recognized, but the AMD isn't (while it did back when there was nothing wrong with it).

i am not sure if there is still a warranty on the laptop, but i doubt it is something i can fix by myself.

So...anyone knows if the card is dead or not?

I get it with my laptop that has an iGPU and mobile AMD GPU. I don't think GPU-Z supports mobile GPU's?

Well, the thing is, it did when she just got the laptop new, and we didn't change any drivers or anything to the laptop since then.

So this raised my suspicion of a shot card.

Yea, by the values it shows, it looks like the acquisition is not good, which is typical for not compatible GPUs. I tried GPU-z on my APU CFX laptop and there are a lot of missing fields, and memory usage stays at zero. To me, there is nothing wrong with the laptop.

Your emulator might be compatible with standard graphics card, but with laptops where you have dynamic selection of enabled GPU (iGPU or the 7670m), this is a different trick, which isn't taken in account in the emulator. Also take note that these are made by independant programmers, whom might not have the required support.

So there is nothing that tells me so far that the GPU in your laptop is non-functionnal.

Make sure to gear the emulator to run in High Performance graphics in the Catalyst Control Center and I'd also change the power plan of the laptop to high performance just as an added precaution and see if that helps!

I don't remember about AMD, but with my GTX 880M (wasn't this way with the 780M) if the intel driver wasn't new enough for the nvidia one I would get similar results.  In the case of Optimus (nvidia's switching graphics) everything runs through the iGPU's outputs even when the dedicated GPU is rendering it.  

Maybe something similar.  If so my fix was to remove all graphics drivers (intel ones too) and reinstall starting with the newest Intel ones.  Worth a try if you haven't already though again I have no clue exactly how modern AMD switching graphics are setup.  

Edited by cchalogamer

For some extra clarification,

Emulator, you can choose what GPU you want to use, it showed when she first got the laptop, so i know for 100% certain it was there.

Now it doesn't show anymore, the same goes for GPU-Z, i used an older version (the one i used when she got the laptop) and that one also give the errors like the more recent do while it didn't in the past (correct numbers were shown, plus no errors at all).

The laptop is always in high performance, this is not the problem, i wouldn't miss such an obvious thing xD

I'd install the newest possible drivers for both the HD4000 and the 7670m and go from there.

Already did that, still no luck, i'l ask if she wants a clean install of windows with the recovery partition doing the hard work later.

Not sure when i will report back, could be a while, but i will keep it updated.

Got a bit of hope as people do not see it as dead yet xD

The thing I could see is that a software update changed something about video drivers. Instead of going with newer drivers, how about reverting back a couple notches? Did you update for a reason (textures lacking, artifacts, framerate improvement) previously?

You could even go back to the drivers that originally came with the computer.

One more thing... Did you download Catalyst that is made for mobile graphics? I couldn't believe myself at first that there were two distinct drivers.

The thing I could see is that a software update changed something about video drivers. Instead of going with newer drivers, how about reverting back a couple notches? Did you update for a reason (textures lacking, artifacts, framerate improvement) previously?

You could even go back to the drivers that originally came with the computer.

One more thing... Did you download Catalyst that is made for mobile graphics? I couldn't believe myself at first that there were two distinct drivers.

Yesterday was the first time i upgraded the drivers on the laptop and i let AMD choose for me at their website.

When that didn't work out, I tried to manually download the mobile drivers as well, but to no avail.

The laptop is generally not updated at all since she bought it, there was simply no need for it.

So that is why it is so weird it is acting up now.