New Gun

Onion

Time has come for a new gun, but I'm having a hell of a time making up my mind. I currently have a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm. It shoots really nice and I really like it, but my love for revolvers is taking over. I want a 357 revolver, which can be had for around $500, but they're impossible to find. This is making me consider the 38 special revolvers. In the 357, I'd be mostly shooting 38 at the range and carrying it with 357 in it. I'm really tempted to just get a 38 +p snub nose and replace my 9mm, but the possible lack of power worries me. If the 38 can work as well as a 9mm, or at least be very close, I'd have no problem carrying that, but I keep seeing different numbers and opinions when it comes to 38 +p vs 9mm. 

So, what do you guys think? The guns I'm considering are the Ruger LCR and the S&W 438. I'm open to other snubbies, but that's just what I've managed to find in my area for sale at the moment. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.38, .38+p, .357 don't matter if you hit your target. :) They all can kill ya just as dead. :D

Very true. I'd try 'em all and just buy whichever feels best and has the cheapest ammo.

True, but some may be a bit more effective than others. The force of a 357 would allow for a slight mistake compared to a 38.

I'd love to try everything but I'm buying from private sellers unfortunately. :(

Should I wait for a 357 or snatch a nice 38 +p?

.38, .38+p, .357 don't matter if you hit your target. :) They all can kill ya just as dead. :D

Very true. I'd try 'em all and just buy whichever feels best and has the cheapest ammo.

True, but some may be a bit more effective than others. The force of a 357 would allow for a slight mistake compared to a 38.

I'd love to try everything but I'm buying from private sellers unfortunately. :(

With the minimal difference between 357 and 38 +p i would say get what is available and spend the extra time at the range so that "mistake" never happens. I would trust a few well placed shots far more than less more powerful shots. Besides, both will have a lot more stopping power than your 9mm.

With the minimal difference between 357 and 38 +p i would say get what is available and spend the extra time at the range so that "mistake" never happens. I would trust a few well placed shots far more than less more powerful shots. Besides, both will have a lot more stopping power than your 9mm.
From the numbers I saw online, the 357 has about twice the power of either of them. The 38 +p being close to the 9, and the 38 being way down on power compared to the 9. I may just not be understanding something. Could you explain to me how the 38 +p has more stopping power?

How about the same amount of more powerful shots, equally well placed? :P

Edited by Onion

From the numbers I saw online, the 357 has about twice the power of either of them. The 38 +p being close to the 9, and the 38 being way down on power compared to the 9. I may just not be understanding something. Could you explain to me how the 38 +p has more stopping power?

In the case of a most snubbie you got 5 rounds. You have to make every shot count. In other words 1 shot 1 kill.   :)

In the case of a most snubbie you got 5 rounds. You have to make every shot count. In other words 1 shot 1 kill. :)

My shield 9mm is very compact. It only carries 7 rounds, so the same idea applies. My question is this - provided the accuracy, capacity, etc are the same, is the 357 worth it over the 38 +p. Would I be left wanting more if I get the 38 instead of the 357?

In the case of a most snubbie you got 5 rounds. You have to make every shot count. In other words 1 shot 1 kill. :)

My shield 9mm is very compact. It only carries 7 rounds, so the same idea applies. My question is this - provided the accuracy, capacity, etc are the same, is the 357 worth it over the 38 +p. Would I be left wanting more if I get the 38 instead of the 357?

Practice beats power everyday. Unless you are able to hit your target by instinct in a stressful situation every a .50 cal wouldn't make any difference. And, may I suggest since you're in FL NOT to put much stock in the "Stand your ground law"

A little story from my past, while living in FL working as an armed security officer...... While going through firearms training I asked the instructor why Security officers couldn't carry hollow points?  The answer kinda sums up how FL law makers think.....The answer was "Because carrying hollow points showed intent to kill"

I understand that, I'm not saying that I'd slack on practicing just because it's a higher caliber. I'm saying it's probably better to be just as well trained but have the more powerful of the two weapons. Not something ridiculously powerful, but just a bit more powerful.

I've heard a couple things about that, which makes me very worried about ever having to pull out my weapon...

You do know that average engagement for pistols is less the 10yards. I wouldn't see why a 38 wouldn't be enough honestly. Your not going to be shooting through anything He wont be wearing bullet proof armor. also just saying you have a gun will scare 95% people away. the other 5% percent like to see it lol. Also less power means not having to worry so much about whats behind your target (you should also worry though) but each his own. If you really want some power in small forum carry the judge 410 with a snub nose lol.