Bios question

Ill be building the rig in my signature this weekend. Ive built a few Abits and this is my first DFI build. I have an RD-1 bios saviour for all my past builds and when your reflashing bios it has saved my bacon more than once, nothing worse than waiting for a new bios chip due to a bad flash. Would you DFI vets out there recommend one of these for my board or is the Diamond flash so reliable that this is not needed anymore? I have no idea what bios this board will come with and want to be loaded for bear when I start. I realise your can save multiple profiles in the cmos reloaded but will it bail me out from a bad flash?

Also I have read the manual on the CD is more concise than the one in the package is that the same as the downloadable version. I generally like to read all this before I get the silicon in my hot little hands.

At last do these DFI boards have a hard time seeing a SATA boot drive after flashing to a new bios. My biggest problem with the Abits lately is even with the correct settings in the bios sometimes it takes multiple boots for it to see the SATA drive. Im sure Ill come up with more questions and thanks in advance!!

Regards

Mark

Ok after searching the boards I found my RD-1 PMC4 bios saviour will work with the DFI board as it is an Winbond 39V040AP bios chip. This is good I hate workin without a safety net :nod: Hope this helps someone else out as well. Guess Im done posting to myself..hehe

Mark,

Your system is almost same as mine except mem, so here is what I know so far:

1/ Most likely, your board will come with BIOS 310 which will not regconize your 4800+. You need to flash to 623-3 (official) or later. Download it from DFI website. It comes with Diamond flash & I never have any problem with after many flash, so you can say it reliable.

2/ Been using floppy for RAID driver on Raptors SATA & never have any problem.

But install Windows x64 you need to embed RAID driver in the CD.

Hope this will get you start.

Have fun.

Regards,

BTW. what part of S.Ca you at? I'm at Anheim Hills.

or is the Diamond flash so reliable that this is not needed anymore? I have no idea what bios this board will come with and want to be loaded for bear when I start. I realise your can save multiple profiles in the cmos reloaded but will it bail me out from a bad flash?

I have flashed SO many BIOSes in the X number of years I've been building systems and not once has anything gone wrong. As long as you do it slowly, step by step, you should be fine. Just my 2c.

At last do these DFI boards have a hard time seeing a SATA boot drive after flashing to a new bios. My biggest problem with the Abits lately is even with the correct settings in the bios sometimes it takes multiple boots for it to see the SATA drive. Im sure Ill come up with more questions and thanks in advance!!

I have an all SATA system and have not once had a problem with my SATA drives not being recognized upon boot. I have flashed the BIOS four times without a hitch on this board alone. I installed XP with a SATA DVD Burner onto a SATA Hard Drive. No problems what-so-ever in that regard.

Great and Thanks guys!! Just a bit cautious I havent had a bad flash in years.....AFTER I bought a bios saviour, aint that the way LOL. My current AV8 with the last two bios has been not seeing my single SATA and its a bit agravating. Oh and Htt55555 Im out in Redlands about 15 miles east of Riverside.

Cool, I work at San Bernadio out that way too.

Have fun with your new build.

I'm trying to get hold of peeps play Battlefield 2 around the area as in a team. So we can start practicing & kicking butt.

If you do play Battlefield 2 then drop me an email or PM