Yahoo/sbc Dsl

Ok i have a friend who has sbc yahoo dsl, but he is having a problem. It moves way slower than it should even for sbc/yahoo it slow. My 56k goes faster than it. but anyways ive tryed just about everything their dumb . tech support told me anyone with any ideas?

well i ran the test they had on their website and it was slower than a 56k modem like 5k which is slower than a 28k modem which is wrong you are paying for dsl and getting 5k speeds. someone should report them to the bbb or someone.

Thats very strange. Have you checked all the outbound traffic? Could be a virus or trojan or some other program is consuming all the bandwidth. You could try installing ZoneAlarm and then monitor all the programs that try to gain access to the net. I have SBC/Yahoo DSL and average 150Kbytes/sec (1.5Mbps on downloads...

yo, i just got the SBC Yahoo Dsl but it wont be activated till tomorrow. My dad says that the rep. told him that it runs @ 1.5mbps here and it is so-called "faster" than the "782kbps" cable.... what the hell is that man talkin about?! I own Comcast Cable and schneikees! its like 2.0mbps + (as tested). Everyone i know says that cable is far more faster than DSL. So... once i get changed to SBC dsl, then i will see what i can tell you.. =/ Dad wanted to save some bucks since comcast is bitchy -> $56 a mon.

1.5mbps here and it is so-called "faster" than the "782kbps" cable.... what the hell is that man talkin about?!

m = mega

k = kilo

mega is 3 magnitudes of order larger than kilo...

1.5mbps = 1,500,000 bits per sec

782kps = 782,000 bits per sec

Problem is though, Ive never heard of "782kps" cable...

Cable modem CAN be faster than DSL. It depends of the DSL service and how much networking traffic is on the cable network. Cable modems are usually capped at 2Mps allthough there ways (illegal) to remove the cap and gain up to 10Mps. The most common DSL service has a 1.5Mps cap but you can get service with a cap of 6.0Mps. Im speaking exclusievly of download streams..

The advantge of DSL is that it is always at 1.5Mps (or 6Mps). The advantage of Cable is that you can get 2Mps (or higher depending on service provider) but you probably wont get nearly that fast at peak times if your network has alot of users.

m = mega

k = kilo

mega is 3 magnitudes of order larger than kilo...

1.5mbps = 1,500,000 bits per sec

782kps = 782,000 bits per sec

Hey. I know how to read. How can one not know what the standard measurements mean after spending their lives around computers.... sorry if you got confused of what i was trying to bring up. I was being surprised of how much Bull crap that sales rep. what talkin. He was trying to make DSL look better than Cable. *Ouch* He even made up lower speeds like 752kbps, etc. like that, just to prove how good DSL is.

I guess you are Misled

So from what i can see, cable had always been the fastest around my neighborhood.

Edited by Transattic

how bout we get back to my problem. Ive tryedt just about everything, i think the problem is with that dumb softwear. i mean it comes with connection softwear! DSL Connection? what the heck dsl is an always on connection, Im thinking if i remove everything and set it up so it dosent use the yahoo softwear that should do. how would i be able to do that? Also the crap yahoo sbc crap installs like 5 network coponets that i dont think they need. i really need some help this is gettin me mad.

Hey. I know how to read.

..and apparently you can write too. Congratulations.

I guess you are Misled

Brilliant. If you actually wanted to be sarcastic you should have used a small m....

how bout we get back to my problem.

Fair enough. Have you confirmed yet there are not any other program(s) using up all your bandwidth?

Edited by Misled