2 x 1GB options... yep, another one, but help me out here

Guest Aphex_merged

Hey Chief, you would'nt see $100 worth of extra performance. Just go for the OCZ 2x1GB Platinum PC3200, I know it can go to 230Mhz on the FSB with 2-3-2-5. Guy called Ryder on these forums works for OCZ and gave me good BIOS settings for this mem. Give a go, you know you want to!!! ;)

Can you please forward those memory settings to me via PM , I don't wanna bother Ryder anymore as he already helped me a lot before I upgraded to the 2G (2x1G) setup, I have a very identical system to yours. The best I'm getting now is 220x11 and I have to relax the timing for it to run stable, I would like to run it again at 2-3-2-5.

thanks

Thanks guys. Ordered the OCZ PC3200 Platinum. It has the same Infineon BE-5 chips as the mushkin, and is almost $100 less with newegg's Back To School promotion ($259) plus a $27 rebate promotion they're running, PLUS Shopping.com Cash Back (-$2.70).

$230 for 2GB of excellent quality RAM is more than I could've hoped. Thanks guys for helping me out with the decision.

Thanks for the link. :)

As I thought, the OCZ Platinum I just bought comes in almost tied for first place in Price/Performance rating. It seems that as the reviewer noted, the extra $150 really is not worth the marginal difference.

P.S. Got them today, installed, and running 2-3-2 currently, with ridiculous speed... my first time experiencing 2GB. Time to head to the overclocking forum!

I also have the OCZ Platinum 1024 sticks, and they absolutely rock on my stock FX-55 system. Since it will cost a small fortune to OC and cool the FX-55 (which I'm unwilling to spend right now, until prices drastically fall on cooling solutions), and cool other components in the system, this memory is the obvious best choice for it at stock settings (thanks Angry and Andy!).