went ahead and tried some as5 on the nb chip..

i took off the nb fan and in attempting to take all that thermal pad stuff off. managed to do a nice chewing up job on the heatsink with one of those really small flathead screwdrivers as i was scraping, i just applied the little bit of as5 to the chip and then tried to dab some in the scrapings as well on the heatsink, temps are a little lower already...any problems with any of this?

also does the stock chipset fan stay right against the chip on its own? with the springs it seems to be not in direct contact, but it seems to be cooling fine..

Your heatsink isn't like the front rotors on your car. Cross drilling and slotting only helps by providing a path for the hot gasses generated by the brake pads to escape.

Just did the math and you actually decreased the surface area by about 34% compared to the original configuration.

Original surface area removed from each side of the fin by drilling hole is 14.25sq/mm

Resulting surface area exposed by the hole on the inside of the fin 9.42sq/mm

You lost ground on that one.

It's possibile that you increased the turbulence around the heatsink but that's a long shot at best.

I swiss cheesed my nb heatsink with a 3mm. drill to increase the surface area and added a modded 50 mm. fan temps at full load with 3 day cure on as5 are 34 deg c. Totally happy with it since b4 this mod it was at 50 + deg c. full load.