Trouble installing windows

I have the setup in my sig below with the exception that I'm running with only 1 stick of ram in the outside orange slot. The problem I'm having is that I installed windows and it begins loading. However, I see the loading screen and then it will freeze up. At this point it will either reboot or BSOD. The BSOD error flashes by too fast so I can't catch it. Out of 5 tries, I will only be able to load into windows successfully once. Can anyone help me?!

BTW, everything is at stock.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The error on the BSOD would really help..

If you're able to boot into windows once and a while, or have another computer, go download a copy of Memtest86+ (google it) and make a bootable CD image..

Then let it run at least 10 passes on the RAM you're using..

If that goes well without any errors, then it's probably a driver that is faulting upon startup..

Possibly RAID?

edit: also, for the memtest86 image, make sure you adjust the boot order inside of BIOS so it tries CDROM before Hard Disk

I have ran memtest and the ram performs well. I will go run it again for the hell of it.

EDIT: I can't even install windows. It does the rebooting/BSODing during the install part of windows as well as after installing.

Well, judging by your signature, if its not your RAM, I would seriously look into your RAID Configuration and/or driver that your using..

I had non-stop BSOD's with my old ABIT motherboard when I was using the RAID drivers it came with, I had to take out my RAID configuration and it was fine after

Maybe look into updated drivers for RAID devices (When you have to press F6 when installing XP for 3rd Party Drivers..) then reinstall XP with the new drivers on a floppy

I'm seriously willing to bet its RAID related

duckdown it is not anything to do with raid drivers and he has NF4 board and you have an NF3 board and they do not exhibit the same set of error characteristics or problems in general.

RGone...

You are on the NF4 board so do not go confusing that board and hearsay about ports 1/2 3/4 as that was for the NF3 chipset boards. You need to get your memory sorted is the likely problem. AG and I have tried to get Crucial memory to test at the size you have but they are so full of red tape is hard. The crucial tech support is supposed to have tested the stuff you have and know what to set it to for dram configuration. At least that was what I understood they were going to do. Crucial labs is a tech for them and is member of this forum and you might PM him.

RGone...

Hmm.. ok, I would need to get some new RAID drivers for the Nforce RAID correct? I have the drives in port 1 & 2, I heard some places that ports 3/4 is better?

Turn OFF autorestart/reboot at an error.

Go to My Computer> Properties> Advanced> Startup & Recovery and "uncheck" Automatically Restart at Error. Then you will get a chance to see

BSOD and the error code most likely. Can be done also from SAFE MODE at F8 during booting with choice to Boot Safe Mode.

RGone...

I figured that from what you said in the first post but you got a little hazy as you finished that post. Then duckdown jumped in and really splattered mud on the picture of what was happening and had to get him to leave it alone.

If you cannot install windows at all completely it is usually memory related or a bad cdrom or install cd. This has been the pattern over 94% of the time with that board.

See this is the mis-leading phrase>

be able to load into windows successfully once
Whereas you have not loaded windows at all, much less into windows.

RGone...to bed my location.

Ok, time to clear things up. During the install, windows will BSOD, reboot (the part of the install after the copying of the files where XP actually starts). Then, *after* installing, windows will still do the same. Luckily, I just got a good install in and I'll be turning that setting off. Hopefully this clears stuff up.

EDIT: Applied the no reboot option but it still reboots. However, I got a glance at the error message and it is:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION.

This occurs right at the windows loading screen and the scroll bar will just stop moving. Btw... this also occurred when I used my friends Mushkin Black Lvl 2.