FAN4 & FAN5?

I was always wondering, why can't i control FAN4 & FAN5? Shouldn't the onboard sensors have control over them? I can't either monitor or adjust RPM, when my case fans are plugged to FAN4 & FAN5. Is there a workaround?

with your warning about fans running off MB headers.....what current draw are we talking? I currently run a 120mm Nidec Beta V on my thermalright xp-120 HS and want to adjust the speed of the fan when i dedicde to overclock soon. I currently have the fan plugged in powersupply lead on the 7v pins to keep the rpms lower. at Full speed i think its overkill now and from what i can find from old documentation runs at .28-.44 amps.

BTW: cpu temps are 28-32 idle

I currently have the fan plugged in powersupply lead on the 7v pins to keep the rpms lower.

I have all my fans running off the PSU and not the mobo. I use the 3-pin to 4-pin MOLEX adators so I can monitor RPM. I still feel pretty sure that the reason my original board went down was because of a 120mm plugged directly into the header. Fan controllers start at $5 these days and offer more control and safety IMO. I look at those lil skinnyaz traces and I think using the headers is just asking for trouble. Especially on a board that has multiple 12V plug-ins ti make sure the board get's enough juice.

Not that I know of.

Be cautious with the number and type of fans you use off the MB headers

Carl is always paranoid about this lol. I have two fans running on headers since day 1 and am adding a third as soon as I get a 4 to 3 pin adaptor.

wait, running multiple on the headers is bad?

i have a 120mm CPU fan (1900rpm) and a 120mm case fan (2400rpm) on the headers, and i have one yellow-only monitor thing on another header. is this too much? i really like the auto-fan temperature dealies. the CPU fan however is supposed to go to 2400rpm says Zalman, but mine only goes to 1900...

Carl is always paranoid about this lol.

hehehe, yes I am as it's the only problem I have ever had with 3 Ultra-D's.

But many, like cantankerous, have used the fan headers without issue.

It is only my personal opinion. Remember I sell car stereo's for a living (and have an obvious MBM5 fetish as well) :nod:

I also wear costumes, build bonfires in the neighbors yard and offer small stuffed animal sacrifices to the DFI gods when my board won't boot. So whatever works for ya.

TIP: soaking the stuffed animals overnight in a highly flammable liquid let's them burn longer and give off pretty colors. :D