Core 0 is the black sheep of the family.

I have a setup very close to you. I also have the x2 4400 and seem to max out at 2.5ghz .. and I have Exos 2 also.. I am getting some new memory tommorow .. My Core 0 is a BLACK Sheep also.. I can run 2.6ghz all day on Core 1.. Core 0 10sec POOF!

I might try removing the heatspreader. but I dont have the Blue Screw anymore for my koolane block. so a little scared

what if u remove the spreader and aply AS5 and then reapply the heatspreader

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never did that, but should work at least a little bit better than the crap that in there now...

If you put something on the waterblock that just like 2mm thick, the short screw should be ok, the blue isn't that much longer and the IHS is roughly 3mm thick.

well guys, I put my X2 4400+ in the OC Database on air @ 2640Mhz, but I could never get 2 primes to run @ 2750 (one would fail in 23 minutes, the other would run 12+ hours).

so i put together this ugly test rig with TDX waterblock and 2 75CFM 120mm fans on the radiator

My X2 and my 3200+ were both idle at about 24°C during the day, primed at 31°C during the day, and would go as low as 18°C at night idle, 29°C dual primes (stock speeds on the X2 and 2200Mhz on the 3200+)

so am thinking now i got this great watercooling, maybe I can break 2750Mhz on dual primes with it...but alas, it still fails one core pretty quick yet the second will do prime for hours and hours, just like before.

I think that is just the way it is going to be though...and honestly, I can't complain about having both cores 100% stable @ 2650Mhz...but...you know...I'd love to hit 2750, 2880, etc....

I suggest a burn-in for anyone having troubles. Make sure you do dual cpu-burn and set affinity and let it ripp. This has definatley increased my OC and It is the reason why I am here at 273x11 100% stable today. I will almost go as far as to say I would gaurantee your OC increases on the X2 with a burn-in. Just remember the key is to have both cores 100%

Angry, I would be happy with 2.6 Ghz, too... but I am quite happy with 2.5 now as well, because it was just impossible before taking off the IHS. Now I had to find a solution for the PWM temp because during Prime95 on both cores, it rose to 79C... but a Vantec Stealth 12cm inside and connected to the CPU Fan plug solved that, and it's off when the CPU temp is below 40 and max when it's above 50. So while I'm priming it turns itself on and blows air on the PWM sinks. 58C max now :)

Tony420: I'm at it right now :) I have experienced "burn-in" effects with other CPUs as well, so I know it can work. But a guarantee? I think it's highly dependend on the single CPU. Some will improve, some won't. But it can't hurt to try.

I suggest a burn-in for anyone having troubles. Make sure you do dual cpu-burn and set affinity and let it ripp. This has definatley increased my OC and It is the reason why I am here at 273x11 100% stable today. I will almost go as far as to say I would gaurantee your OC increases on the X2 with a burn-in. Just remember the key is to have both cores 100%

make sure you point out that you are using subzero cooling while 99% of the normal users are not...it makes a huge difference with clocking...

make sure you point out that you are using subzero cooling while 99% of the normal users are not...it makes a huge difference with clocking...

my sig shows shows what im using. Phase change or air cooling, burn-in helps. :angel:

ive 'burned' my x2 in since the day i got it (3 months ago?) and it still wont do 2750

i'm not a believer in burn-in at all. If a cpu wont do it out of the box for me, it never does it no matter how much burning i do. I still keep trying but it never happens.

I think with the X2 the bad effect of the IHS is much higher than on a single core. On a single core, the IHS either is applied properly or not. You will see good overclocks - or not, maybe because of that. But on the X2 a minimal difference on how good the IHS is applied or that gray crap is working for each of the cores may result in a huge difference because one core get's it heat removed much better than the other one, and that poor other one has to cope with the heat of it's neighbour, too...

I think over time you will see LOTS of people removing the IHS on Dualcores, much more than on single cores.

Phase cooling... :drool: well, I could have bought it, but I didn't like the thought of modifying my case for it and spending even more than I did for my Exos-2. But I think I might go for it in my next major upgrade that needs new board, CPU, RAM. AMD quadcore with DDR3 anyone? :)

I think I can now confirm that 2.5 Ghz really is rock solid at 49C full load. Prime 95 running on each core + Sandra BurnIn Wizard and 3DMark 2005 running at the same time for hours. I will see if burning in will help me, I don't expect it to, but you'll never know :)