Need help with my Memory (RAM)

Hi all,

First wanted to say hello, and thanks for this great forum. I was having a bear of a time getting this rig up and running until I stumbled accross this site.

I managed to get it running well enough after reading through most of the threads here. All except for my RAM. I have two 512 sticks of Corsair CMX512 PC3200 in the orange slots (2 &4), and I have not changed any of the default settings in the BIOS.

When I try to run MEMTEST it starts failing immediately. I am very new at this so I don't know what my next steps should be to try and get the memory working properly before I decide that it is probably bad and return it.

Sandra says that the timings are : 2.5-3-3-8, and I have not touched any of the voltage settings.

Any advice on how to procede would be great.

Thanks

Give this a shot.

1. Clear cmos (make sure unplug power cable to psu)

2. Boot and go into bios. Set to load optimized default

3. Save and reboot.

4. Go back into bios go into genie bios settings and make sure dim voltage is set to 2.6

Make the below changes.

CAS Latency CL=2.5

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 6

Row Precharge Time tRP 3

Plus turn off cpu throttling.

Do this with one stick in dimm slot 2 Run memtest on each first. If no issue then try both in dimm slot's 2 and 4 and run memtest.

I would also suggest you flash to bios ver 510-2 - If the above does not do it for you with bios ver 623-3.

Did you try the other? Also which model of ram do you have? If they are twinx1024-3200 or twinx1024-3200c2's then their rated timings for amd is 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.6v. So if you cannot get them to pass memtest at these settings then you will need to contact Corsair support. you can go on line and access through their forum house of help here

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/forumdis...php?forumid=128

I know this is going to sound stupid but I cannot find the options to change the settings that you mentioned. All I see in Genie for RAM is the "DRAM Voltage Control" which is set at 2.60v.

Do I have the wrong BIOS flashed maybe?

OK, found them. I just changed the settings to what you recommended, but I gotta get some sleep. I will post results when I get a chance to try MEMTEST out on both sticks when I get home from work tomorrow.

Thanks for being patient with my newbie questions.

Ok. I ran MEMTEST successfully all night with one stick, but when I swapped it out for the other one this morning it failed immediately.

Luckily I bought the RAM locally and the shop is going to let me exchange it.

Thanks for your guys help.