Damn, I must be crazy. Looking for a new gaming monitor

Guest Kronos_merged

Guest Kronos

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on this:

24" SONY GDM- FW900

I spent 15 minutes on the phone with a sales rep making sure that I get the best pick of the litter...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, you rich basterds......

you wanna know what my moniter is? huh?!?!! do ya?!?!!/

well, it is a

5 YEAR OLD 15 IN. PANASONIC CRT. THE VIEWABLE IS 14 IN AND THE SCREEN IS MARKED UP!!!!

would you care sending me your old LCD after you get a new moniter?

when i get my 19" lcd, it will be the first lcd i have ever owned.

i've always avoided them because i like to play games...but now there's 4ms and 8ms 19" for under $400 so i going to take the plunge i think one day

Make sure you know what you're getting, and can stand the 6-bit colour (18-bit dithered, and so forth) if you're planning on getting a gaming LCD with low response time.

Myself, I'd prefer an LCD with truer colors and would be willing to sacrifice some response for this... obviously, this varies greatly between individuals though.

Guest Kronos

I spent 20 hours on the web reading reviews and customer comments about the CRT I just purchased. I'm going into this well informed. I even spent time on the phone with the vendor to make sure that I was sold the best 24" monitor on the pallet. I know the pros and cons of the monitor and I was assured to get a Grade A monitor shipped.

I'm not too worried. I can't wait to see this baby in action..and by baby, I mean my 24" 100lb CRT =)

A_G, those monitors look real nice. Too bad it is hard to hide monitor purchases :D

Myself, I'd prefer an LCD with truer colors and would be willing to sacrifice some response for this... obviously, this varies greatly between individuals though.

my bargain lcd may not respond overly well in games but one thing i'm amazed with is the richness of colors, man theres no other way to watch anime!!!!

The SAMSUNG 915N is really great but not fantastic. By its self it looks really good but as soon as you put it next to a CRT you can see the flaws.

It took me almost two hours with displaymate tools to get it to optimum. The CRT I compared it too only took 15 minutes to adjust properly.

There is virtually no ghosting on even the fastest screen objects. Colors are nice and rich but as with all LCDs black levels are just not as good as a CRT.

For the price it is quite a bargain. As 19" LCDs go it is one of the best.

here's what i am looking at lately (when momma isnt around haha)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824001185

I won't buy a LCD screen....well, I take that back because I did buy a Viewsonic VP230MB... :cool: because from all the reviews, it was supposed to be the best greater than 20" LCD on the market. How wrong I was. $2,400 on an LCD and it don't even hold a candle to the Viewsonic P225FB CRT I own. It sits in it's original box in the closet until I can find a use that can take advantage of it's positive features.

Until LCD screens match, or beat, CRTs I won't buy one nor will I recommend them to any of my customers unless they are businesses or people who only use it for cruising the internet, home finances and such.

It seems like there is not much "middle ground" on CRT vs. LCD. You either like them or hate them. I am a LCD convert. I hate apple products but always liked their displays. The color reproduction always knocked my eyes out. That is what attracted me to the LCD's. That combined with better response times and lower prices I decided to take the plunge. Also when we had our work monitors swapped out I ended up with an IBM 20" flat panel LCD and I actually like it. After 12+ hours looking at it I do not miss the CRT. For balls out performance the huge, heavy and hot CRT are still king but I would not swap my LCD for it.