Longhorn Beta 1

Katch

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wOw, the desktop is looking increasingly more like the interactice Apple desktop.... After what... 5 years? I was hoping for something a bit....better.

You realize that Windows started out as a copy of the Apple OS made for windows so dont expect much from them It is very rare for windows to have an original idea witout having someone develop it first for them to copy.

Just imagine if Apple sold the OS instead of trying to only selll it with computers.

I played about with various releases so far and have to agree, slow and very little substance.

Several key technologies are not to be included in the first beta roll out,

Jupiter Research senior analyst and Microsoft Monitor author Joe Wilcox questioned how complete Beta 1 will really be. "I expect Longhorn Beta 1 to be a fairly limited test, whether looked at by number of testers or product features," Wilcox said.

"The real beta -- the one revealing broadest feature changes -- likely won't come until, at best, end of this year. That means Microsoft customers, partners and competitors won't yet be able to judge Longhorn progress or what the new Windows version will mean to them."

(read XP with new GUI and new ntergrated software versions thrown on top) but still, you have to be curious.

I am in no way a fan of Microsofts methods or development, however, as with most of you, I have been using their OS' for many years right back to 3.1. Like it or not I know this next incarnation of Windows will probably become (sooner or later as XP did in its time) my primary OS and that I will spend many hours getting my head round it. Better to get on top of it now, than later, know thy enemy and all that....

I played about with various releases so far and have to agree, slow and very little substance.

Several key technologies are not to be included in the first beta roll out,

(read XP with new GUI and new ntergrated software versions thrown on top) but still, you have to be curious.

I am in no way a fan of Microsofts methods or development, however, as with most of you, I have been using their OS' for many years right back to 3.1. Like it or not I know this next incarnation of Windows will probably become (sooner or later as XP did in its time) my primary OS and that I will spend many hours getting my head round it. Better to get on top of it now, than later, know thy enemy and all that....

I will not be an eary adopter unless they give me a veryy compelling reason to. It takes them forever to patch the patches.

I will not be an eary adopter unless they give me a veryy compelling reason to. It takes them forever to patch the patches.

If I was only running a single system I too would feel that way. As it is with a box for Linux, an XP Box for Browsing and Admin work and an XP Box for Gaming and Tweaking (not to mention a pair of laptops one XP one Linux) I feel it would be worth lending one to Longhorn testing and development.

when my games play better than they do on XP, and everything works properly, and there's an anti-virus for it...I'll use it.

just like XP64

just like XP

just like 2k

just like ME

just like 98SE

just like 98

just like 95

They'll release longhorn, then SP1, then SP2, then I'll adopt...