The Athlon64 Will Kick Ass!

This was taken off of hardocp.com, so i guess that even though it will still use the same 478 socket, it will not be compatible. read on.....

Bad Intel News:

While none of us have been sure, I know many of us were hoping to see our i875P and possibly i865PE mainboards accept the early Prescott processors that we hope will be affordable in the first half of next year. This post by Evan Lieb of Anandtech seems to dash those hopes squarely.

After meeting with a manufacturer in Los Angeles yesterday, we were told that the first batch of Prescott processors will not be compatible with any motherboard currently available on the market today. Before Prescott undergoes a complete socket overhaul in Q2 2004, all Prescott processors will be of the Socket 478 variety, shipments of which will start in early Q4 of this year. But due to a mandatory voltage regulation spec change from VIN 1.0 to VIN 1.5, these Socket 478 Prescott processors will not be compatible with any Socket 478 motherboards. Motherboards based on 865PE and 875P chipsets are among those not compatible with the first Prescotts we learned.

Maybe or workaround can be found. Till then, if you are ready for an upgrade, I still suggest the Pentium 4 2.4C and a 875/865 board to be the way to go for the fall gaming season even if it will not leave much of an upgrade path.

that's not even the worst of it for intel. xp, longhorn and 2003 are all being ported over for 64 bit. ms has chosen to ignore intel for all but the server end of it. to keep things out of court they have agreed to work with intel cpus in the 64bit os AFTER longhorn. I guess with in the next month or so I'll be seeing the first intel cpu with a 64bit core... NOT the P5 though.

I work for MS in the driver division. I get to play with all kinds of hardware and verify it's working ability in windows. the opteron has been on my bench since I started 2 months ago. and the 244 KILLS the P4 in 90% of the stuff I've seen it do.

Edited by bigred