The Athlon64 Will Kick Ass!

I have found some (32 bit) benchmarks about the Athlon64 here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displ...athlon64_9.html

You can use the Next Page/Previous Page link on this site view non-gaming benchmarks. I only looked at the gaming tests, so everything I say now refers to gaming-tests. You see, that the Athlon 64 2800+ (1.6 GHz) is faster than the (Barton) XP 2800 in all tests, and that it is only a little bit behind the P4 2.8 C in all tests. AMD plans to release versins from 1.6 GHz to 2GHz at the inital release. Versions up to 2.4 GHz should follow before the end of the year. I calculated, that the P4 2.8C needs 75% more clock speed for the same performance (In this calculatio I set the performance-difference to the 2,8 GHz P4 to 0, because it is neglectible). I used this to calculate the performance of the 2 GHz and 2.4 GHz Athlons compared to the P4s. The result is: the 2 GHz model is as fast as a P4 w/ 3.5 Ghz, and the 2.4 Ghz model is as fast as a P4 w/ 4.2 GHz. Intel will not release a 4GHz P4 before end this year, maybe it will not release one this year at all, and the highest will stay 3.2 Ghz (Intel doesnt plan any releases betwenn the 3.2GHz and the 4GHz model), and even if they would relwease a 4GHz model, it will still be slower than the 2.4 Ghz Athlon64. So AMD will be the king when the Athlon64 will be released!!!

About 64-bit apps: Epic will release a 64bit version of UT2k3 for Linux when the Athlon64 is ready. The version is ready now, Epic only waits forn the release of the Athlon64. Microsoft plans to release a 64-bit version of Windows before end of the year. Epic will also release a 64 bit UT2k3 (or maybe UT2k4) for Windows, when the 64bit-Windows will be ready. I am sure, that soon a lot games and other apps will also be released as 64bit-versions, and they will be so fast, that this apps will run faster on a Athlon64 w/ 2GHz, than the 32bit versions run on a P4 w/ 4GHz.

My prediction: In two years there will be so much 64bit apps, that Intel will not sell any 32bit-CPUs, and if they dont have a 64bit CPU at this time, they will get bankrupted. Everyone who didnt buy a 64bit CPU when they became available will say to himself "how could I be such an Idiot and buy an outdated 32bit CPU". :smack:

I just want to add, that I am not an AMD-fan. I am neutral, but I am for the Athlon64, because it is a new technology, and far better than the P4s. If Intel had released a 64bit-CPU instead of AMD, and it would kick . like the Athlon64, I would say the same about the Intel-CPU.

So AMD will be the king when the Athlon64 will be released!!!

Heh, don't get your hopes up. Do you really think Intel doesn't have something up their sleeve?

Edited by Pitbull

Heh, don't get your hopes up. Do you really think Intel doesn't have something up their sleeve?

the only thing that intel has up there sleeve is a future 64-bit processor that is NOT backward compatible with 32-bit programs.... thus intels downfall. Why in the world would you buy a processor that need all new software, when you can buy a processor that will let you take advantage of both 32 and 64 programs. I small the winds of change!

itanium? hahaha that's about all intel has focused on to compete with the hammer series of cpus from amd. frankly not something that will ever make it's way to the desktop cpu market. too expensive, and too much like the alpha.

itanium? hahaha that's about all intel has focused on to compete with the hammer series of cpus from amd. frankly not something that will ever make it's way to the desktop cpu market. too expensive, and too much like the alpha.

what is the alpha?

what is the alpha?

DEC (Digital Equipment Corp. ie compaq, ie hp) designed a very powerful cpu back in the day to compete with risc and power pc chips in servers. they built a 64bit version, but it lacked any support from MS to go forward. some of it's technology went into the eV6 bus of the amd k7 processor.

What about the cost of the CPU, you'll need a new mobo to go with it as well.

If the cost to upgrade is amazingly high, it may be some time before people start flocking to AMD. During that time who knows what Intel will do. Just because they have not publicly stated there plans of releasing a new CPU this year doesn't mean that it won't happen.

specs of the P5 are out there. sounds like a souped up P4. it will take a socket chagne after a few months. it comes across like the PII to PIII chagne over.

as far as needing to upgrade to a new mobo for amd DUH! 32bit chip vs a 64bit chip???? cmon there's no way in hell they could make it work on the socket A platform. intel likes to do it so you HAVE to replace your mobo every few months buying a new intel chipset (socket 423 to socket 478 mean anything to anyone?)

and for people that don't know (i heard about it before but didn't know very much about it. still probably don't know the majority of it, but can give ya what i've found). the itaniums 733Mhz and 800Mhz were intels first true 64-bit chips. then was or is the itanium 2 processor (although i'm not sure if this is the same as Intel's Madison chip? on intel's website they talk about the itanium 2 which is suppose to be their new one, but i thought Madison was suppose to be the new one that will have 6MB L2 cache. http://cedar.intel.com/cgi-bin/ids.dll/top...jsp?catCode=BMC maybe Madison is just the code name? ) The Madison which has a 6MB L3 cache. very very expensive like bigred said. they are targeted for servers. it seems like it will be hard for them to compete with amd's opteron, but it does look like intel might have a plan to reduce prices on their new madisons. here are some of the links that i found and got my info from using google.

http://www.geek.com/procspec/intel/merced.htm

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9780

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9766

The result is: the 2 GHz model is as fast as a P4 w/ 3.5 Ghz, and the 2.4 Ghz model is as fast as a P4 w/ 4.2 GHz. Intel will not release a 4GHz P4 before end this year, maybe it will not release one this year at all, and the highest will stay 3.2 Ghz (Intel doesnt plan any releases betwenn the 3.2GHz and the 4GHz model), and even if they would relwease a 4GHz model, it will still be slower than the 2.4 Ghz Athlon64. So AMD will be the king when the Athlon64 will be released!

i'm not an intel fan, just informing. Intel is coming out with the Prescott (32-bit) in the 4th Quarter this year. it will be 3.4Ghz and have 1MB of L2 cache. so that will be out to compete with amd's first opteron processors.

i'll stop talking and let ya read the links.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...0602181959.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/2...0707081626.html

so it looks like intel has plans to compete with the 64-bit opteron on both the 32 and 64-bit levels. they have their 3.4Ghz Prescott with 1MB of L2 cache, and looks like they have a plan to cut prices on their Madison 64-bit processor for Dell to try to compete with amd's 64-bit opteron (although i'm not sure how competitively priced intel can afford to cut the price.) i'm not worried too much about the new processors yet ( since i'm saving up money right now and don't plan to upgrade anything in awhile except for my graphics card. can't go spendinng money on everything. oh, and also it would be nice to wait to find out what the good steppings are for the new processors (or however they plan to classify them). want to get my full moneys worth and then some :D )

trakfast, it never ceases to amaze me how long you can make your posts..... anyways,

Intel will be competing with the athlon 64, but there still inlies the problem of two seperate processors, one that is 32bit and one that is 64bit. If it were up to me. I would not buy the 64bit intel cause then i couldnt use my old software, and i wouldnt buy the 32bit intel cause i couldnt use the new software. So the obvious choice would be the athlon 64 with its backwardcompatiblility, works with the past, and is ready for the future!

nice research though trakfast11 :D

madison is the HIGH end itanium 2 chip. prices on them are slated to be upwards of $2k right out the gate. Opteron is high right now because it's sharing time on the line in dresden with the xp chip. once it's own line is running full time, prices are going to fall.

How about we just wait until we actually see cold hard performance numbers.

Everyone said the FX5800 would own once it came out...we all know how that ended.

Once we see charts and specs and the whole nine-yards of it's supposed uber l33tness, it's all in theory.