New System - stuck !

Hi Guys,

A couple of quick questions for you:

Firstly, on the DFI NF4 SLI DR do I need auxilary power to the motherboard ?

I have a Tagan 480w PSU and the 24 pin ATX connector, but do I need to connect the 4 pin +12v, or the molex to the motherboard ?

Also, I have made a fresh system with this motherboard, I have fitted it with an AMD 64 x2 4400+ but the board will not boot up. Is this because of the CPU and a need for the newer BIOS ? I read that it needs the newer BIOS to make the dual core chip work, but I assumed that it would at least boot in to DOS to allow me to do the BIOS upgrade.

The system switches on, no POST sounds, and the 4 debug LED's stay lit, the first of the boot procedure states. That's it nothing else happens !

Hope you can help, looking forward to getting this system 'flying' = ;o)

Regards,

Niggly

Specs:

DFI NF4 SLI DR

1024 (2x512) KIngston value ram DDR400

Tagan 480w PSU

Gigabyte Nvidia 7800 - 256 meg

LG dvd writer dual layer

Thermaltake Kandalf case

Thanks guys (Playah, Loc.o),

Extremely happy with the speed, and advice given.

Used to Asus (no existent info), and Abit (not too bad to be fair), but this breaks records - lol.

The fastest response to any question I've ever posted.

Again, thanks very much !

Regards,

Niggly

With a single graphic card configuration, you don't need to plug in either the 4-pin molex connector located just above the chipset HSF, nor the other one to the left of it just below the CPU. These additional connectors are only intended for the additional power requirements of a dual video card system (although plugging them in won't do your system any harm as such).

With a single graphic card configuration, you don't need to plug in either the 4-pin molex connector located just above the chipset HSF, nor the other one to the left of it just below the CPU. These additional connectors are only intended for the additional power requirements of a dual video card system (although plugging them in won't do your system any harm as such).

NOT true, ALWAYS plug all 4 of them in, SLI or not. Many many examples here and in other forums of increased stability after hooking all 4 of them up.

Hi again,

Yes . . . . it boots ! :)

The thing about the psu points is that nowhere in the documentation does it say to plug power to all points. I remember looking at a motherboard recently that had a 4 pin molex onboard and it was there to supply power (to the graphics card).

So with that in mind there was no way I was plugging power in to the DFI until I knew it was meant to be that way.

I think DFI are a bit to close to there own product, and the manual should have a certain amount of influence from an outside body !

Any way, time to crack on with installing Win XP 64 . . . . . does anyone dual boot with this and XP Pro ???

Regards,

Niggly