• Linux
    • Opera
    • Other
    • I voted for more than one.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For gaming and general purpose applications XP is the only way to go right now. Compatibility is the key!

I disagree. My experience so far has been that just about every program I have run has been fully compatible. I was also able to find drivers for everything. 64 bit printer drivers were included with the OS, 64 bit chipset drivers I found on nvidia's website, 64 bit vid card drivers I grabbed from ati, 64 bit sound card drivers I got from creative, all work good. There have been only two compatibility issues that I ran into using x64. One was flash, but that is because it only won't work on 64bit IE, worked fine on 32bit IE. The other was punkbuster, but since then they updated punkbuster to be compatible with x64.

And the compatability of x64 increases daily! :D

And for the gaming part, if you like Far Cry then x64 is for you! There is a fully 64 bit version of far cry which looks and plays better than the 32bit counterpart. As for any other game, it seems to run almost as fast. I maybe dropped 1 or 2 fps, but I didn't even notice really, and I only scored 150 points lower on 3dmark05, but that was probably mainly due to the ATI drivers being in beta.

DFI does not officially support Windows64 yet. A few months until the OS can be fully qualified and verified. I suggest sticking to known-good OS like WinXP 32-bit until then. But tweakers never toe the line (i never do, thats for sure)

I like win2003 server a lot.

Since I bought this new machine, though, I can't install the newest catalyst drivers as the machine restarts itself before the logon screen.

If i use the ones that came with my videocard I have no problem...

First I though it was the maxtor drive on my signature, but it died a few days ago and while waiting for the "RMAment" I'm using a borrowed 80gb IDE hitachi drive that shows exactly the same problem.

Wierd isn't it?

Some day I'll try ripping my 2 pci cards off my machine just to see what happens then...

Just as a side note: Never heard about an "Opera OS"... does that exist or was it just confused with the so named webbrowser?

• 6 months later...

XP corporate and slackware linux.

I rarely, if ever, now use Linux.

When I spend a lot of time tweaking my RAM/gfx card/CPU, I see real world performance gains from it. When I spend two hours of my life trying to get madwifi alpha wireless card drivers working.. well, I'm 118 minutes behind where I was when I tried to get it to work in windows. Just wasn't worth my time. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Milkshake
I like win2003 server a lot.

Just as a side note: Never heard about an "Opera OS"... does that exist or was it just confused with the so named webbrowser?

Nah, never heard of an opera OS, only web browser.