Hey all,

i was refered here from OCAU!

ok so i just got:

ultra-D

OCZ VX Value 1 gig/pair

antec truepower 2 480W

XFX 6600GT

Venice 3200+

Firstly i have left the bios defaults, updated to 310 and then loaded optimised defaults...

When i try to install xp-sp2 (Slipstream) i get random BSOD's and errors, the error is usually something like C:$SECURE is corrupt, BSOD is random...

I always get these errors when windows xp installer screen says "30 mins left..." (on that section of the install anyways)

memtest86+ runs fine with no errors

seagate diagnostics quick and full scan passes fine with no errors...

prime torture test (from live cd) runs ok with no errors....

the only thing i have done is swapped the S/PDIF jumper to NFORCE output rather than Realtek output...

any ideas?

cheers

dave

"Firstly i have left the bios defaults, updated to 310 and then loaded optimised defaults..."

Did you pull the battery and clear the CMOS before you loaded optimised defaults? I was having my BSOD occur at the exact same time as you are mentioning during OS install, but once I updated to 6/18-3, everything has been perfect. I now have total control of mem timings to the "T" and my San Diego just purs. Keep in mind, the BIOS that I am using is not a final release, however.

Make sure you get a signature up!

MC

Guest Shibby

All 4 power connectors plugged into mobo? How long did you run memtest for? Have you tested your slipstreamed xp cd out before (ie: previous install)?

yeah all 4 powers are in.

the memtest run upto 100% on the first pass..

the cd is only about two weeks old and ive installed 2 other systems (athlonxp and p4) with it.

i tried a non slipstreamed cd and the install got futher but still having weird reboots and errors...

what else could it be? do i need to let memtest run longer? or prime run longer?

Please go here and make your signature...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/usercp.php?

It will make it easier for forum members to offer advice without having to hunt down the information.

Have you tried another cable or optical drive?

I had a rig in the shop that wouldn't install the OS. Changing cables didn't work. Changed the optical drive, bingo, OS installed no problems. OS CD and optical wouldn't play nice together.

ive tried a different SATA cable.

I will try a different ATA cable for the DVD drive... the drive isn't new and it was working fine in another computer...

I will try a different drive as well :)

PS ..

what is the I/O shield refered to in that thread...

i saw it it in the manual (as being parts included) but i dont know what it is...

btw im not a noob at building PC's, i have been doing so for about 10 years... just new to DFI and AMD64's :)

edit: oh is the IO sheild the back plate? ie where the ports hang out of the back of the machine...

thanks for the IO explaination..

i see your point about the USB devices.. i will unplug the things i have plugged in and just plug in the mouse :)

will let u know - memtest is upto 45 mins running fine :)

thanks for the IO explaination..

i see your point about the USB devices.. i will unplug the things i have plugged in and just plug in the mouse :)

will let u know - memtest is upto 45 mins running fine :)

use keyboard arrows , tab , spacebar and enter and ur set .