4v NF4 Jumper Worrying You? Try This Trick!

You need to read over Andy's instructions better..

This mod lets you run your vdimm off of the 3.3v rail of your psu.. But your 3.3v rail of your PSU needs to be raised .10-.15v ABOVE the vdimm you plan on using..

So if you keep trying to set a vdimm above 3.2v without raising your 3.3v rail of your PSU it will not work.. AND might damage something..

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gijoe

Thx foir the quick reply :)

i did that quite a few times?

unless ive read wrong that is.

i have changed severl time my(powerstream) 3.3v to 3.5v then i checked in the bios (as i have no meter) and it read the correct setting of 3.5 rebooted back to bios in the system its still at 3.5 but i still cant get it to come up on the vdimm settings just the same 3.2v.

This is what ive been doing from the start maybe i didnt write it correctly (sorry)

have i not read it right?

best joe

Guest gijoe

np m8 thx again for all the time and help :)

I was worried that id read/saw it wrong i am only good at putting the things in the pc getting them to run is such another story(lol)

best and thx again

joe

Ps the main reason for trying this is that i just got this dfi back(rma) due to the 4v jumper and the 4000vx (rma) so i wont put them on the jumper again till its proved yes or no thats what the problem is(and no i dont have proof it was the board angry) thats why i say"ill put them back on the 4v jumper when and if they say its good to do it :)

but i have the ram that like at least 3.3 and have to try to get this mod to work for me.

best

joe

Just to be certain here's what you do Joe

1 .enter bios change cpu vid to something other than auto ie 1.4V etc

2. adjust 3.3V rail to new desired voltage ie 3.5V

3. change mem voltage to 3.1V (This step shouldn't really be necessary)

4. turn off and unplug system.

5. shft jumper block down 1 row, change uppermost trio of jumper pins of J17 from 1-2 to 2-3

6. turn system back on.

7. enter biois new voltages above 3.2V should be avalible.

8. remember to keep bios mem voltage setting at least 0.2 V below the voltage of your 3.3V rail.

Guest gijoe
Just to be certain here's what you do Joe

1 .enter bios change cpu vid to something other than auto ie 1.4V etc

2. adjust 3.3V rail to new desired voltage ie 3.5V

3. change mem voltage to 3.1V (This step shouldn't really be necessary)

4. turn off and unplug system.

5. shft jumper block down 1 row, change uppermost trio of jumper pins of J17 from 1-2 to 2-3

6. turn system back on.

7. enter biois new voltages above 3.2V should be avalible.

8. remember to keep bios mem voltage setting at least 0.2 V below the voltage of your 3.3V rail.

thx m8 for the reply

i ve done the above but maybe not in that order,

i first change the jumpers ,then i set the v on the psu then i checked it in the bios and then i rebooted will this make a difference?

best

joe

I don't really know how critical the order is. But the memory settings for 3.3V- 4.0V will not appear until top jumper is shifted and cpu vid is moved from "auto" to some fixed voltage and a reboot is performed. Beyond that I don't know why you wouldn't see them.

Guest gijoe

Hi there,

Unless i am missing something not so clear(which is very me)i have done so far (about ten times) everything that i am suppose to do(as my other posts suggest)

but i will try it again sometime today in the order above to see if that makes a difference.lol I am starting to think i am getting to old for this :)as everytime i try something new i have the oops syndrome:)

thanks and best

joe

• 2 weeks later...

Long story short, within a month a 4000VX module got killed. Ran 4 weeks perfect @ 250fsbx2.2.5.2 @ 3.3V. Just to be safe I thought about buying a DDR Booster but my PSU had no -5V line. So I bought a OCZ powerstream 520 so that I could adjust the 3.3V line. Installed new mem and PSU tonight, set bios up and memtest ran fine for about an hour. So I boot into XP and run Prime95 for an hour, runs great. So I run memtest, the Windows variant and I see my mem voltage constantly drop from 3.24V to 3.12V and even lower. Nothing but errors, why is my 3.3V line so unstable? I'm running on the 5V line again now and my system runs stable, did I buy the OCZ PSU for nothing?

Long story short, within a month a 4000VX module got killed. Ran 4 weeks perfect @ 250fsbx2.2.5.2 @ 3.3V. Just to be safe I thought about buying a DDR Booster but my PSU had no -5V line. So I bought a OCZ powerstream 520 so that I could adjust the 3.3V line. Installed new mem and PSU tonight, set bios up and memtest ran fine for about an hour. So I boot into XP and run Prime95 for an hour, runs great. So I run memtest, the Windows variant and I see my mem voltage constantly drop from 3.24V to 3.12V and even lower. Nothing but errors, why is my 3.3V line so unstable? I'm running on the 5V line again now and my system runs stable, did I buy the OCZ PSU for nothing?

Where is this instabilty being reported? Is the light on the back green? There is a place on te board to test VDIMM with a meter.

See the last pic in this VDIMM mod for the DFI NF4. It shows where to check VDIMM at the missing capicitor at the top of the board above DIMM slot 1.

It sounds to me like you just don't have enough voltage to run your memory. You must set over 3.4v at the PSU toi get 3.3v with the mod. You are selecting 3.3v and getting less.

Let me know.

Thanks

I used an external meter to measure. I had the 3.3V line give me the exact values the 5V would give me, values in bios and Windows. In bios it runs great, in Windows shows the exact same 3.29V on DRAM but as soon as I use Prime the fluctuation starts, Prime stays stable though, Memtest, even in pretest gives me errors immediately.

Edit, light on the back is red.

I used an external meter to measure. I had the 3.3V line give me the exact values the 5V would give me, values in bios and Windows. In bios it runs great, in Windows shows the exact same 3.29V on DRAM but as soon as I use Prime the fluctuation starts, Prime stays stable though, Memtest, even in pretest gives me errors immediately.

Edit, light on the back is red.

When you check the BIOS, what is the 3.3v reading?

I had mine up to about 3.6v, which gave me up to 3.54v for my ram.