Changing Stripe size Raid 0 Ultra D

Is it possible to change the stripe size, once you have win Xp installed without losing data?. I have mine set at 64K but after reading many threads here , It seems that I would have bettter performance with 16K.

thanks

hayjay

On a similar topic, can you use Norton Ghost to back up your XP OS RAID partitions, re-format and re-stripe, then restore and reboot? I don't want to waste money on Ghost if it doesn't work with RAID.

i dont know of any 'ghost' software that yet works with the NF4 SATA / RAID yet (i think there is a discussion in this section or in off-topic about it)
Thanks AG, I got that impression too from the HD bench wars in Off Topic. I'll hold off until the dust settles :)

lol thats not a war thread...just someone came in saying how his SCSI setup was a better deal etc and we kinda told him no, no it really is not ;)

other than that, the thread is designed to let you compare the RAID/hdd scores YOU get compared to all the various scores we have already tested, and to ask good questions and get good advice (we hope!) about how different settings affect things and what possibly is the best for each individual case ;)

but there's another thread floating around where ppl are asking about a 'ghosting' software like Norton Ghost...but again, I dont think there is one that works properly with the NVRAID on the NF4 yet.

If you get an older copy of ghost like 2003 and not the new one they bought from PowerQuest which was the old Drive Image 7.0 > then doing this works fine to back up to another drive. Accessing the Nvraid correctly to back up to another drive with these switches employeed means that Ghost cannot write to Cd/DVD material because you cannot access ATAPI devices with those settings. I back up to a third drive all the time though on NVraid on NF3 and NF4 using these two changes.

Ghost2003 and NVRAID working...

I know there are issues with ghost not recognizing raid setups when cloning drives.

After some research I've managed to make it work if you add the following to the ghost cmd line: ghost.exe -ffx -fni

I you use windows, go to advanced options and in the command line tab add: -ffx -fni

Also Paragon Hard Disk Manager has a ghost-like feature that works at least I think that is name and company but I have not used it in months since getting ghost2003 to work every time with exception of back up to removable media and that was no hardship as I back up to drives anyway.

RGone...

On a similar topic, can you use Norton Ghost to back up your XP OS RAID partitions, re-format and re-stripe, then restore and reboot? I don't want to waste money on Ghost if it doesn't work with RAID.

i dont know of any 'ghost' software that yet works with the NF4 SATA / RAID yet (i think there is a discussion in this section or in off-topic about it)

Acronis True Image 8.0 (build 826) works great with the nVidia SATA Raid Controller. I backup my Array every night to a PATA 250GB drive.

That is from within Windows. Just make sure that the boot media can find the raid controller and you will A-OK. I haven't tried this yet myself, but that is how it is supposed to work. :-)

Great program. Much better layout and performance than Norton Ghost.

This topic got me thinking and I wanted to see if I could access the RAID 0 array from the boot media.

I hate to say that even the latest version of True Image can't see the nVidia Raid controller from the Rescue Boot CD.

Bummer. That makes my restoration a LOT harder.

EDIT: went though and read the old posts on this topic. Guess I'm a bit behind the curve. :O