PWM (3 silver heatsinks) get really hot!

I know that there are many threads here about the IC, but I'm not concerned about the reading but the actual temps!

I put a probe to the bottom of the middle heatsink, and it showed me at least the temp of the IC reading!

Which is, in my case, ~57-65° under load! I'm with h2o here, so there's not that much airflow inside the case (yet I used every option to mount a fan).

Now, does this temperature harm them? I read that they are rated up to 125°C inside and ~70° package, right? Am I toasting my board here? Idle temp is at ~40°, so maybe these heatsinks don't sit right?

Should I put a waterblock on them?

Sure thing, it keeps them at 40° max load (I tried it out with a 120mm fan). Problem: The fan was too loud, also I don't have a good (!!) idea how to mount a fan in that area.

That's why I'm asking if they really need to be cooler than this.

I do have 2 120mm fans blowing air in (radiator), also 2 80mm fans in the front (all 4 blowing air in), so...

But have a look yourselves:

5ptegwt4.jpg

I do have 2 120mm fans blowing air in (radiator), also 2 80mm fans in the front (all 4 blowing air in)...

Do you have any fans blowing out? If you're feeling adventurous, cut a blowhole and give all that air somewhere to go. The outbound air will pass right over those hotspots.

@spdiscus: Well sure. One 80mm in the back (at the height of the cpu), plus two 80mm fans of my OCZ power supply.

@ccoke: There's no heat "stuffed" in my case, also turning around the fans gives me 4-5°C higher water temperatures.

And, to be honest, I can't cut a blowhole anywhere. There's no room on the back of the case, the left door has a large glass window (CoolerMaster original), so I can't cut a hole in there...