NF4 Ultra-D: problem with two different brands of ram in dual channel!

Hmm, figured out there's a problem using one of my Twinmos BH-5 256MB sticks and one of my KHX BH-5 at the same time for dual channel.

System won't boot up only producing those obligatory long "ram fault" beeps... When I put in two sticks of same brand, system will boot up.

Weird it is, huh?!

Why I wanna use differently-branded sticks? Cause one of each set is better... :nod:

Maybe OSKAR can enlighten me why it does not work... :cool:

what are the settings for your RAM in Bios? Have you tried with all lax/compatible timings and settings? and a low divisor?

I'm using two different brands of ram in my system (not for long hopefully) but not bh-5. I can OC the generic modules...but not by as much as I could with my Intel system. I have some generic Samsung PC2700 running with my Geil PC4000...on the Intel I could hit 230fsb, on my a64...I can't even hit 200 with them :drool:

Yep. Of course I tried updating the bios... otherwise I wouldn't beg oskar to enlighten me ;)

I tried stock bios 1-25, bios 2-18, 3-10/2, 3-10/p and of course the new alpha 3-16... no go.

I also tried standard settings as well as clearing cmos and closing the bootup jumper. No go...!

The single modules do work, modules of same brand work, but both together don't.

I tried running my Kingston BH-5 with this board last night. No luck at all. If I set the mem freq to 333 and forced 2T I could get into Windows.

I know my ram is not faulty as it passed 26 hours of memtest not too long ago.

I know my ram is not faulty as it passed 26 hours of memtest not too long ago.

Just removing and re-inserting RAM is enough to break a good module even in the best of conditions.

Your RAM is only as good as the next time it passes memtest.

Just removing and re-inserting RAM is enough to break a good module even in the best of conditions.

Your RAM is only as good as the next time it passes memtest.

How profound! So you are saying that there is no such thing as a compatibility issue? Instead, everyone is just breaking their DIMMs inserting them into the slots. And inserting them into another motherboard fixes them again.

Did I understand your contribution to this thread?

he is always like that. don't argue with him. he is kind of genius :D

SAE, have you tried turning off the power supply? or unplug the cord?

also, when you can POST, go set the bios to optimized defaults. i have kind of the same problem. if i previously used my G.Skill, and want to put in my OCZ, it won't go. i have to unplug the cord and clear the cmos for about a minute or so. don't clear it only for small period of time...like 10S or so...hope it helps...

possibility that the cpu memory controller combined with teh NF4 just doesnt like those two sticks together? (thats a pretty good one if i do say so myself...ive seen mismatched sticks with the same IC's not like being together)

Mark: no one is claiming that you all are idiots and break your sticks just by touching them. What Mr T meant to say is that just because your items will do something on one board, does not mean they are going to do the same on your next board.

this is especially true with the overclocking DFI boards.

Yeah, A_G.

That's possible, the memcontroller does not like them being run together. But maybe OSKAR can try and look into that issue, he may be able to comment on what exactly the problem is and if it can be fixed. :)

Mark099 - How profound! So you are saying that there is no such thing as a compatibility issue? Instead, everyone is just breaking their DIMMs inserting them into the slots. And inserting them into another motherboard fixes them again. Did I understand your contribution to this thread?

The point I was trying to make is that you can destroy or damage a stick of RAM simply by touching it. Even in the best conditions it can happen. In my shop with all of the ESD controls in place, I killed a stick of RAM moving it from one server to another. It happens to the best of us.

Also, I was trying to be cute with that last line. As AG clarified, a stick of RAM that works great in one board is not guaranteed to work in another board. Without qualifiying the RAM, you have no idea if the current settings will work. I've wasted too many hours chasing "phantom" errors that turned out to be simple problems.

Silvestre - he is always like that. don't argue with him. he is kind of genius

No, but I play one on TV. :cool: Really, I've just seen a lot of goofy stuff, some of it my own fault. I try to learn from my mistakes as well as others mistakes. I keep a mental cheat-sheet of what works and doesn't work.