[Resolved]NF4 Ultra-D - Which PCI-E Slot?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right I am, but it seems im weighing more into not pushing through because of these reasons:

1.) Nobody has replaced their northbridge cooler and seems to be doing fine :-D

2.) I planning of geting an ARCTIC COOLING VGA slinencer and that gets in the way of NB even on second slot :-(

If you wanna use the bottom slot, just use it without touching the jumpers. Plug it in, and go into windows to install your driver software.

If you're getting a new NB sink, and you wanna use the card in the lower slot after using the upper one before... completely uninstall the chipset and vid card drivers. Then plug the card into the lower slot and reinstall drivers in windows. That's it.

Like it's been already said, the lower slot only turns into 2x when two cards are installed.

I have a theory - SLI moddable motherboards runs the bottom slot at x16 without moving the jumpers.

Non SLI moddable botherboards run at x2 or x8. It is just a theory - all I have is my own motherboard - and again I'll please ask - in the genie section of your bios, there is a grayed out box that declares the bandwidth of each AGP slot. If a few of us can post what that box says, we can make sense of all this.

Sisoft sandra in it's pci section also declares the bandwidth of your pci-e slots.

All I can say is that my card runs at x16 in the bottom slot without moving jumpers.

There is a marginal performance hit of around 200-400 3d2001 marks in this other slot, despite the same bandwidth- which I guesss is to do with proximity of the slot to the CPU.

Cool, thaks for the info! But still not pushing through, VC cooler is more important that NB coooler, so will have to settle for what it has.

Wise words grasshopper. :)

Actually your post got me thinkin. Frozen CPU got their Arctic Silencer 5's in (for X800XL series) yesterday so it should arrive here late Friday afternoon. But of course now I'm leaning towards having Viper John performing his magic on the X800XL. :)

So if you're interested in the Arctic Silencer let me know via PM and maybe we can cut a deal on a virgin (sealed) fan in the future.

@rhiridflaidd - yes, I agree it would be great to get some input on results from other members. SAE has me convinced it's 16x but I will test this weekend. I just spent hours on cable management and setting up the internal LCD. Hate to have to remove everything again but I need some pics of the card for VJ anyway so I promise to give it a go.

I have a theory - SLI moddable motherboards runs the bottom slot at x16 without moving the jumpers.

Non SLI moddable botherboards run at x2 or x8. It is just a theory - all I have is my own motherboard - and again I'll please ask - in the genie section of your bios, there is a grayed out box that declares the bandwidth of each AGP slot. If a few of us can post what that box says, we can make sense of all this.

I have my card in the lower slot and I get only about 4700p in 3DMark05.

My bios list the slots in the following order: x2 x1 x16 x1

I have a feeling the x2-slot is where my graphics card is. How do I reconfigure?

EDIT: I got the following reply in a different thread:

Only the top slot runs at 16x unless you do the sli mod (check anandtech, the new boards are mod questionable, mine doesn't seem to like the pencil, but I'm getting a circuitwriter to make sure). The bottom slot runs at 2x, and right now the card seem to be using more like 4-6x, and 8x is really what you want at a minimum. If you do the mod, you should be set. BTW, have you tried higher with that processor? Being a week 47, I estimate you should be up around 2.8 by now...... Also, I would guestimate 3DMark scores closer to 5500, but yours aren't really that bad.