Weird Temps?

What's up with the 128C temp I'm seeing with Speedfan (Temp3)? It doesn't seem to change whether or not I'm running heavy CPU loads.

temps.gif

Thanks,

C

That's the CPU diode temp I believe. I don't know speedfan very well but I remember hearing the diode's reverse current gives a temp of 127 or 128 so maybe it isn't setup properly. Can you change the sensor type somehow (I'm thinking of MBM5 the default is wrong in that program too but you can change the sensor configuration).

If it is reading properly it should be the lowest of temps 1-3 and change the quickest with changes in CPU load.

Temp 2 is the CPU Socket Temp, with 1 being the Case Temp.

So you can configure MBM5 to read the Diode correctly then? How? The CPU Diode should be the hottest of the 3 not the lowest, followed by Socket then Case. Obviously you can't have a CPU Temp lower then the Case Temp, unless you use a duct...

What are the other reported temps then? Does the Infinity have Chipset Sensors? I get loads of temps showing with SpeedFan also but can't figure out what some of them are...

The case temp sensor is near the southbridge and it is most often the hottest of all temperatures in the case. This is because the southbridge is passively cooled (only) and generates a lot of heat.

The CPU Diode temp is typically lower than the CPU socket temp, it doesn't really make sense to me but I have heard the CPU diode is very precise but not accurate, i.e. it needs to be calibrated by a certain factor (say 5°C) and once you account for that factor it is dead-on. If you have a program monitoring the CPU diode properly you will notice immediate changes in temperature with changes in load. The CPU socket temp sensor is much slower to react. The case temp sensor, for me at least, is constant regardless of load.

So how do you configure MBM5 or SpeedFan to take readings from the diode so it doesn't constantly report 128°C? I'd like to set it up to take correct readings from the diode if i can.

What are all the other temps that are reported? I get about 7 reported temps, Case, Socket, Diode, HardDrive, what are the other 3?

I have no idea on the other 3 the motherboard only has 3 sensors the rest must be duplicates/bad/more hard drives

To get the sensor working just change the sensor type, there will be two options one will be "Winbond xxxxxxxxx" and "winbond xxxxxxxx diode" if it is on one change to the other and it will work. This is in MBM.

Thanks Poisonsnak. You can change it with SpeedFan. The actual Diode Sensor is W83L785TS-S according to the MBM5 site. Thats the temp with the greatest variability so that sounds about right. Only problem is its well out. Here are my current readings:

Case Temp = 28°C

CPU Socket = 31°C

CPU Diode = 11°C

Hard Drive = 29°C

??? = 32°C

??? = 128°C

Don't know what the last 2 are, i only have 1 120GB SATA HardDrive. I think the last one, 128°C is just a false reading. But whats the 32°C Temp? Could it be my PSU? My PSU is a brand new 525watt 4th Generation Hiper, 24 Pin(but 4 Pins detach so it will fit a 20 Pin board) , Triple Fan with Speed Control. Obviously it has a sensor in it for the automatic fan control but is it possible to read it?

I've also noticed that only one of the Chassis Fan Connectors can actually take RPM readings on the Infinity.