Micro2000 Comptia® A+ Certification worth the money?

Guest shaolin95_merged

Guest shaolin95

Hi!

I am planning to take the A+ test soon and was looking for a good course. I found this Micro2000 Comptia® A+ Certification course which seems to be very complete but of course its much more expensive than the Regular 1 or 2 books packages around. Is it worth the money?

http://www.micro2000.com/apluscert/index.php

Regards

Hi!

I am planning to take the A+ test soon and was looking for a good course. I found this Micro2000 Comptia® A+ Certification course which seems to be very complete but of course its much more expensive than the Regular 1 or 2 books packages around. Is it worth the money?

http://www.micro2000.com/apluscert/index.php

Regards

Man, that's the $64,000.00 question. Short and sweet; If you were a slacker in school but still got a diploma, you probably don't need the full course. I know many people that have an A+ that I wouldn't let swap a floppy for me. Not the drive but a disk.

Guest shaolin95

LOL, I know what you mean my uncle was an engineer and my dad who only completed High School was ten times better at building using street knowledge go figure. So, you think the A+ test is easy enough not to spend $350 on the course? They guarrantue you will pass it or your money back. The thing is, I dont want to save now and then fail the test and end up paying more for a second test you know. I know a lot about computers but dont know if what I know is what they will be testing.

I know a lot about computers but dont know if what I know is what they will be testing.

Call the library and see if they have the study guide. Two of the local libraries have some guides but four others don't. If you're not in a rush you can order the book from your favorite e-tailer and save some of the retail bookstore price. The bookstores around here charge full retail on all the computer publications, Book Nazis.

I took A+ back in 2000 and passed.

I had plenty of experience at home and at work. I did study some study guides and stuff like that.

If you know what you are doing when it comes to building and troubleshooting a system, no, do not get that. Go out and get a A+ Certification for Dummies or a quiz book.

If you are brand new jumping into the whole thing, yeah, get those books.

Those books do seem for the novice, the "Paper A+ Certified Technician".

I guess it all depends how much you want the Micro-Scope program and how much it normally costs.

A guy I worked with at a differant job was the "Paper Certified A+ Technician". The other guys I worked with told me one of them changed the wallpaper on his computer to a bitmap that said "Phil's Computer".

It took him 15 minutes to figure out how to change the background. :shake: :shake:

i never even graduated from high school...i dropped out at 16 ( i dont encourage anyone to do this so dont) and went straight to college with a GED...dropped out 3 times and never went back...never took a course or class on computers...

i can remember down in Orlando that some large (and lots of small!) companies would call me in 'on-call' to fix their networks and workstations...and while I was there, their $50k-$75k a year 'IT/Tech' guy would be told to follow me and watch everything I do...

the moral of that is that experience rules education in some instances...here's a guy (me) who never had a day of schooling for computers/networking, and even dropped out of high school and college...and then there's the college graduate who went to school to learn exactly what I was doing, and getting a GIANT paycheck...and yet they'd call me in because i had seen 1000x more issues and had ability to 'think around corners' and the grad....if the problem wasn't something he learned in a book or in a class...he had a a hell of a time figuring out how to 'think around a corner'.

so

the moral

do what you think you should do

but get the experience as it counts for more than any piece of paper

and second...word of mouth = worth more than gold and diamonds (i never advertised ever and was busy enough in Orlando to have 3 guys helping...and i got this job purely on experience and knowledge)

Guest shaolin95

Thanks all for the response! Angry , I know exactly what you mean, Ive seen many thechs that have NO idea on how to aproach a problem that I can fix rather easily. Thats exactly why I think the certification will help me. I already have real street knowledge since I started with computers back in the C64, TRS-80 days...still miss my commodore (anyone ever heard drive music where they made a 1541 play a song?). If I add to my knowledge a certification I should be more prepared than most outhere dont you agree?

Regards

Guest shaolin95
Thanks all for the response! Angry , I know exactly what you mean, Ive seen many thechs that have NO idea on how to aproach a problem that I can fix rather easily. Thats exactly why I think the certification will help me. I already have real street knowledge since I started with computers back in the C64, TRS-80 days...still miss my commodore (anyone ever heard drive music where they made a 1541 play a song?). If I add to my knowledge a certification I should be more prepared than most outhere dont you agree?

Regards

PS Ones I went to a pc store and ask for a 400W PS (250-300w were the common crap at the time) and you know what was the "technician"'s reaction? He asked me laughing at me like I was a moron, " what are you going to install an A/C inside your PC?!" You can imagine how upset I was and how many "nice" things came out of my mouth :nod:

Experience does count more than anything as far as I am concerned... BUT....

in the job hunting market, if you got the cert on your resume, it does throw you a little advantage over someone who doesn't have the cert.

If you are applying for a job and you have no experience and an A+ cert, and three other people have no experience and no cert, it will lean towards you.

My moral to the story.....

Certs do play a role in the job hunting scheme of things, it is all for the HR people. Once you get past the HR people into an interview with the real tech people, THEN the cert did pay off.

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with having the experience AND the word of mouth, but in the professional world, the experience ALONG WITH the cert is where it is at.

i can remember down in Orlando that some large (and lots of small!) companies would call me in 'on-call' to fix their networks and workstations...and while I was there, their $50k-$75k a year 'IT/Tech' guy would be told to follow me and watch everything I do...

You and me both...

so

the moral

do what you think you should do

but get the experience as it counts for more than any piece of paper

and second...word of mouth = worth more than gold and diamonds (i never advertised ever and was busy enough in Orlando to have 3 guys helping...and i got this job purely on experience and knowledge)

How about experience *AND* the paper certs? :nod: