Buying 64 Processor

Hey Guys iam looking and reading up on things with these NF3 boards and processors for the last week or so and would like to build a 64 bit system.The board is no problem but the processor is,id like to go with a 3400 but the money is not here right now so i was thinking of a mobile 3000 1mb L2 and the steppings

AMN3000BIX5AR-CAABC0417TPMW.Would you guys give me some feedback on this processor for i dont know much on them.I can get it OEM for $118.Thanks Guys.

You really cant go wrong with the 3000 for the money. The stepping of the particular cpu you are looking at is a CG, which is good. The date of manufacture is 17th week of 2004. Not the most recent date, but should be ok. I'm really not sure what is considered a "recent" date on a 3000. Someone else may be able to clarify on that. At $118, sounds like a good value. I have been very pleased with the performance of my 3000. A wise purchase for budget.

DS

Also, that mobile 3000 with 1mb of L2 cache will be really nice. You should get even better OC results with the mobile versus the desktop version I have. The clawhammer cores are very good overclockers, better than the newcastles in most cases. I believe the mobiles run at 62w versus 89w for the desktops, which is a considerable advantage especially when overclocking. Boy, I wish I had a mobile version. NewEgg is still listing the OEM Desktop version for like $145. For $118 to get a mobile, you can't go wrong. You are planning on purchasing from Excalibur, right? With the right setup, I wouldn't doubt that it could break the 2.6 Ghz barrier.

DS

Ya that looks like the best beet for the money right now David.I whish i could get the 3400 mobile,if i could manage i will but the 3000 will be the way to go if not.The lower volts on the mobile gives you the advantage over the desktop to run at a lower temp for sure,i just hope to get a good one like we all do.I reed a lot in these fourms about the good ones and there steppings to try to get a good one and its realy true like Rgone says, its luck of the draw.I been threw that myself,i traided in one befour thinking if i get one with guaranteed stepping that it would be a good overclocker and it did not do any better than the one i had.Luck of the Draw has some truth to it.Thanks for the help Daved and for your feedback also CPUZ,if i cant go with the 3400 the 3000 will be the way to go.